Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whole new life?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is probably in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to put it.

In two days' time, I'm moving to Birmingham for a year, as a "postgraduate" student. I was excited about it some time ago but as the day approaches the excitement is turning into worries.
Keep in mind that I've never lived on my own before, for more than a few days at a time. So one of the things that I'm worried about is that I'll make a mess of keeping things from, well, being a mess. Up to now, I really like having free time but I have to accept that there won't really be much of it any more, so I'm afraid that a lot of things will be left to the last minute and that it won't be enough.
Of course, there's the issues such as "what if I don't do well enough" or "what if I'm biting more than I can chew" and also the fact that I have to keep working on another project at the same time, which has to be finished in time or everything else will be for nothing.
And the social issues, such as possibly not being able to "connect" with anyone and ending up being on my own all day and stuff like that.

My brother is coming with me and will stay nearby for a bit, so he can teach me stuff, which I'm sure will be very useful, but at the same time I'm worried that his presence might make other things worse. He's generally a much more talkative person than I am and it makes me worry that people I meet will "meet" him instead of me, or might think less of me for needing help.

OK, I know that most of these worries are understandable given the situation and that things will probably be fine, but among all the dives into voids I've taken before, this is the biggest one ever and I feel there's so many ways to fail that I'm bound to get at least one.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My sister told me that when I bought my first car I was certain to make a mistake. I've put more than 40000miles on my boy now, and he's never let me down. The inevitable, is often not. And birmingham is a lovely city, and not far away from plenty of us TheSite types :)
  • Options
    Wow Yorghos :D I didnt realise you're coming to the UK!

It's completely understandable to be nervous and it's a big step but it sounds like such an adventure. My tip is to be open to everything; if you're invited out by other students and feeling a bit shy then really try and make yourself go. I made this mistake when I started university and although I made friends and found a group I really liked, I think it took longer and am still annoyed at myself for not stepping outside of my comfort space.

There will be tons of societies that you can join and get involved with too and I imagine some specifically for Postgrad students as well as Greek societies if you start to miss home. I realise you probably know this having been to study before but just try setting off on the right foot so things don't overwhelm you e.g. making a time-table, to do lists. It'll help it seem a lot more managable.

When are you heading over? It's fairly north for me to go right now but please come down to the south soon so I can say hello :wave:
  • Options
    London now, going up tomorrow. Still shitting bricks but I've managed to not overthink things since yesterday, which makes me calmer.
  • Options
    Oh awesome!!! This definitely calls up for a Brum TheSite meetup. We need to be awestruck at your accent. I'm not too far away at all.

Like you say, don't overthink too much, just try and go with it, it will all be ok. And don't be afraid to ask for help either! If things are getting too much - we are here :) and people are generally friendly... :D
  • Options
    birmingham is FULL of students, there are five universities and several colleges so you are pretty much guaranteed to find someone that you get on with. as clementine has said there will be societies that you can join where you will be able to meet people with common interests, or where you can become interested in something new. you will also be able to access extra support from your uni to help you with the specific difficulties you have. you might be able to have a mentor to help you prioritise your workload so that you don't end up in the situation where everything is too much. i think this will definitely be a challenge for you, but one that is really worth taking on. i hope the move went ok and that you are settling in :)
  • Options
    There (or here) now, and finally back online.
    I still feel very lost, although a lot better than I did a week ago. The course starts tomorrow, hoping everything goes well...
  • Options
    hope today goes ok for you :thumb:
  • Options
    enjoy :) everyone seems to be back today..
  • Options
    Hey Indrid, how are you getting on?

Just thought I'd drop in and see how you were settling in, I hope the course is going well :)
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Pretty well so far, I think. I can't say I'm 100% used to it though, nor even if I'm getting there. On a day to day basis I'm fine or more than that, it's in the long term that remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Hows things? Which one of the unis are you at?
  • Options
    I'm in BCU, still doing ok.
  • Options
    I went there hope u are getting on well.