Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Looking for work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wanted to vent some of my frustrations out.

I've been working in a shop part time (20 hours a week) for the past year at the same time have been applying for jobs, must of applied for at least 50 jobs. I know that I'm really lucky to have my part time job but I would seriously like full time as I just feel like I'm dossing around at home most of the time 20 hours a week is not that much.

My family are being supportive of me not asking me for rent but I feeling I'm just sponging off them most of the time and feel quite guilty.

Is anyone in the same position as me? Claiming JSA benefits with no work, it must be difficult.

Comments

• Options
    I know its not much but ever considered Mcdonalds? It's easy + a lot of money plus you get loads of benefits like discounts on everything?

Good luck with your job hunting
  • Options
    Hi headboy01 :wave:

I understand your frustrations around not being able to find full-time work but its great that you are trying and as hard as it is, you shouldn't let it put you off trying for more jobs.

Not really knowing your background - is there any volunteer work you could do to build on your current CV? I know it isn't paid but sometimes volunteer work can lead on to other jobs, etc and give you experience that would be relevant to other paid jobs?

Have you got any specific qualifications or considered stuyding? If not, is it something you would like to do? Again, as you are working part-time you could study either full or part-time alongside it? If you choose to do that, some courses offer work experience too so you would be gaining some experience in a relevant field as well as a qualification? Or maybe an apprenticeship? I know they don't pay too well to start with but again, they can lead to further jobs, etc?

As I said, I don't really know your background in terms of work experience/studying...I do know it is a tough job market out there though!
  • Options
    headboy01 wrote: »
    My family are being supportive of me not asking me for rent but I feeling I'm just sponging off them most of the time and feel quite guilty.

Is anyone in the same position as me? Claiming JSA benefits with no work, it must be difficult.

*hug*

Absolutely! I have 2 degrees and I can't even get work in McDonald's (yes, really - I don't drive and public transport doesn't allow me to work the hours they wanted). I worked in retail since finishing my postgraduate degree, but even that dried up a couple of months after Christmas...

I got loads of good experience at university, and I work as a volunteer to keep my skills up. No joy.
  • Options
    I've got two degrees and the first job I got out of uni was a temp contract at Wickes. It took me 4 months to get that
    and 4 months after that finished to get my first proper job.

Once you start working, it's easier to keep the momentum up, but it can be hard to crack the shell. Keep at it.
  • Options
    headboy01 wrote: »
    I wanted to vent some of my frustrations out.

I've been working in a shop part time (20 hours a week) for the past year at the same time have been applying for jobs, must of applied for at least 50 jobs. I know that I'm really lucky to have my part time job but I would seriously like full time as I just feel like I'm dossing around at home most of the time 20 hours a week is not that much.

Hi headboy.
    I'm in the same place or worst because i used to work part time as a dishwasher but i hated the job because i was overload with work and i hated my boss, so i left the job and was working again in another restaurant as a dishwasher too. I hate working in a restaurant so i left from that place too.
    Now i'm looking for a job and sent cv's. i'm trying to find a job that i could work with animals but where i'm from we don't have many places where you can work with animals and get paid. so i'm applying for that one job. And doing a volunteering work in a dog shelter.
    I live with my parents too, but my situation at home is not good :/ so i don't like living with my parents. Hope you find a job that you like. :)