Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Books! Haruki Murakami

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys!

Hoping some of you will be able to help me :)

So I LOVE the book Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami... and I was thinking of putting another of his books on my birthday list :D Just wondering if any of you guys have read any? Atm I might just put "any", but thought it was worth seeing if you had any recommendations :)

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure Ms. Panda will be along shortly to help.

I have heard that The Windup Bird Chronicles is an excellent book.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I'm sure Ms. Panda will be along shortly to help.

I have heard that The Windup Bird Chronicles is an excellent book.

You know me so well ;).

1Q84 is excellent. That's all I've read so far but Japanese stuff is kinda my bag at the mo.

So! Also pick up some Ryu Murakami (no relation) - 'In the Miso Soup' is just amazing. If you like weird shit try the Ring trilogy (Ring, Spiral, and Loop) by Koji Suzuki. Don't go into it with expectations from the movie - it's not really scary, but it's fairly dark, pretty twisted, and really really odd. And read all three. The first is a good standalone but it just gets weirder with the other two.
    Oooo. Will check them out.

As for Japanese authors - I've read 'Out' and 'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino. Liked both! (Out can definitely be classed as 'weird shit') :P
    Oooo! I love Haruki Murakami :)

I recommend Kafka on the Shore and Wind up Bird Chronicle is a goodun too :thumb:
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Oooo! I love Haruki Murakami :)

I recommend Kafka on the Shore and Wind up Bird Chronicle is a goodun too :thumb:

What she said ^^^^ those two
    I love murakami. Couldnt get into iq84 as much, but am going to give it another go. Kafka on the shore is one ofmy fave books ever.
    Yay, thanks :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    What she said ^^^^ those two
    I love murakami. Couldnt get into iq84 as much, but am going to give it another go. Kafka on the shore is one ofmy fave books ever.

Same! :heart:
    Oooo. Will check them out.

As for Japanese authors - I've read 'Out' and 'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino. Liked both! (Out can definitely be classed as 'weird shit') :P

Ahh I read Grotesque a few months ago. I couldn't get used to that style of writing and ended up hating it
    Has anyone read The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino?

It's awesome.