Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People just don't seem to care about each other anymore.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Picture the scene, im driving down a dual carriage way, quite wide lanes and plenty of space, reasonably fast moving.

Some dickhead driving at terribly excessive speed and lane hopping at short notice, not indicating, and causing near accidents. This driver then clips a young ladies ford Ka and she skids a little to the left towards the hard shoulder, but the over compensation leads to the car doing a 180 (clockwise), and in the process the front end clips the central reservation. Car spins a little further and ends up facing the wrong direction, half on and half off the hard shoulder.

Now I see this commotion from a reasonable distance away. It was quite busy but luckily no other vehicles were involved.

What amazes me in a bad way, is that in the 300/400yds or so that im away from this, traffic has now slowed to a standstill and everyone is making their effort to go around this, causing a bit of a tail back. Not one single person stops, even when there is a lone woman wandering about a bit dazed and confused on the hard shoulder.

I pull up a while before, and put on the hazards, luckily an army landrover pulls up too, and between the three of us lads, we get the traffic pulling into one lane a while before the accident, call the emergency services, and see that the person is all right.

If someone else had stopped I probly would have carried on, and I dont blame anyone else for doing so, after it became obvious this person was being assisted. However before that point, I'm ashamed to be a human being.

Im not saying people should put themselves in unecessary danger or anything like that, but I reckon there was a good 50/60 cars, so presumably at least 50/60 and possibly upwards of 100 people went past and did nothing.

Moral of the story, even if it isnt a car crash, if you can help someone out, dont do it because its the right thing to do, do it simply because you can.

4glsv9.jpg

Comments

• Options
    I'd be gutted if the only people who had pulled over to help me were people trained and paid to kill, gutted.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I'd be gutted if the only people who had pulled over to help me were people trained and paid to kill, gutted.

Funnily enough, someone mentioned that at the scene.
  • Options
    scary.

i hate cars. people always make fun of me when i pause to cross a road that appears safe to cross. people are idiots.
  • Options
    G you're so preachy sometimes!

but yeah it is a bit horrible that nobody stopped :| to be honest iv never really seen a situation like that where somebody in need doesnt get any help at all. but i'd be really sad if i did.
  • Options
    I hate the outward selfishness of others. Once on my way home from work, I saw a very old and fragile looking man with one of those triangular walker thingies on the other side of the road. He was blocked by a road sign (builders a hundred metres ahead had put it up for roadworks), which was covering most of the pavement. He hadn't the strength to move it, and it being rush hour on one of the main roads leading into the city, there was no way he could cross the road, or dodge round off the curb. God knows how long he'd been there and how many people had passed him without helping - when I was approaching and before I understood the problem, I even saw someone just side-step onto the road and past him without even blinking.

I took a WHOLE minute out of my day to move it for him. He told me that he'd asked the builders (conspicuously absent at ten past five) who put it there to move it to one side the day before but they'd ignored him, and he had to go that way to get to the shops. He looked a bit hysterical. This was maybe a year ago now, but I still remember that poor guy, because he is what we could all become when we're down on our luck if we don't pull together and help each other sometimes.
  • Options
    I remember being about 9yrs old and walking, with a friend, to the sweet shop that sold sweets by the penny. On the way there, we saw an old lady fall down in the street and cut her head open. It was a slow windy road, the cars going past must have seen, but no one stopped. There were a few adults on the footpath and they just continued on their merry pedestrian way.

We were shocked! We stopped and tried to talk to the lady to find out her name and where she lived. She lived ages away so we kept asking questions until we got info of a friend who lived nearby, all the while, people young and old were walking past ignoring the whole scene. My friend and I helped walk the old lady to her closest friend's house with an under each arm, bearing her weight.

To this day, I can't believe it. The sweet shop is still there, I'm in the same town, I go past it on the school run everyday and often think of the incident. People can be so self-absorbed, and so self-centred some times.

Hell, my comment about the military was actually a dig but, it's true, not only are they trained to kill but they are also instilled with a feeling of duty and of helping. It doesn't seem like many others are. And, that saddens me.
  • Options
    When i crashed my car last year it stopped in the right lane facing the right way on a quiet country road but had obviously been smashed, and the first couple of people who went past right after i did it, just drove straight past!!! Couldnt actually believe what i was seeing!!
  • Options
    They didn't stop? It is surprising isn't it? I continue to believe that people will do the right thing, against all evidence, I continue to believe that they will...
  • Options
    Reminds me about 2 weeks ago when I was in London. We were walking past some supermarket and this woman with a guide dog seemed to be having some trouble. With my friends, we walked past, but I was looking to see if she needed a hand or not.

Well she seemed to have trouble putting the lead on the dog [not sure why it was off in the first place], so continued to walk, got maybe 20 steps away from her. I stopped, and turned so I was facing the direction she was in rather than looking over my shoulder to see if she was still stuggling or if someone else had offered a hand.

No one did and she still looked like she was having trouble. So I told my friends to wait while I went to give her a hand. I was shocked no one was even LOOKING let alone deciding to help her. Just before I got near her to offer a hand she got it and went on her way.

Same kinda story with 2 women coming off the tube with prams and two young kids in them. Everyone was just walking up the stairs, only caring about getting out just as quickly as they could, seeing at least one woman was struggling to carry the pram (the other just lifted the thing up, she was more muscular than me xD) but still no one offered to help. So I asked them both if they wanted a hand, the other who couldn't carry it was pleased I asked - and another guy after seeing I asked offered a hand to the other woman but she was fine by herself.

And one time when I was coming home from work at the BHF, an elderly woman who was in her 70s at least, was waiting for a bus with a heavy trolley. She nicely asked if I would carry it on the bus for her [thinking she was getting on the same bus as me], I said sure. Once she and I realised it was a different bus to mine, she went over to the bus thinking someone else would help her who was on the same bus [as did I, so I never went over to help immediately]. My bus was arriving, but I still went over when I saw no one was helping her carry it on. Yeah I missed my bus, but at least she didn't do herself some damage. It's nice to hear someone say thank you and mean it.

Just annoys me. We're in the world together, society makes it seem like you can't trust any body.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    They didn't stop? It is surprising isn't it? I continue to believe that people will do the right thing, against all evidence, I continue to believe that they will...

Somebody did eventually and even after i had a guy waiting with me, people still stopped to ask if they could help.

If i was in my car and saw someone crash i'd stop straight away to help them
  • Options
    Keep a hold of that desire to be nice to people when they need it, to recogise peoples' distress and take the time to check, that is what seperates us from the pack.
  • Options
    With technology and a cellphone most poeple probaly assume that you can call for help yourslef, or that you have a device on your car which will call an emergency number for you if in an accident. That and the group dynamics thing, assuming somebody else already called for help giving y0ou less responsilbity.
  • Options
    You've got to search for the hero inside yourself. Search for the secrets you hide. Search for the hero inside yourself, until you find the key to your life.
  • Options
    You've got to search for the hero inside yourself. Search for the secrets you hide. Search for the hero inside yourself, until you find the key to your life.

Or buy an M people cd ;)
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Or buy an M people cd ;)

:D
  • Options
    Just to add another story to this thread...

Around 3 years ago I was at a gig with a group of friends. It was just a small local thing with a capacity of about 250. In the middle of some band's set, my friend had a seizure right there among a load of people. There were a few of us sat at the side on this raised bit, so we saw what was happening and went to obviously help him. But even by the time I had got to him noone was doing anything. I mean sure... people may not have realised he was fitting, but he was on the ground getting kicked and stepped on.

Once I was with him, I literally had to shove people to make them move back out of the way, whilst trying to stop him hitting his head... and had to shout at like 5 people before they got me any help, the rest were either stood staring at him on the floor, or carried on watching the band play. Eventually one of my friends also got down and she got someone, and the lights got turned on, ambulance called etc.

But argh. It was such a horrible experience...

I've not been back to that place. I can just remember being so desperate for someone to get some help for me and people just looking at me like I was crazy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    the saddest part

the saddest part is that people are becoming more and more careless with EVERYTHING. It isn't only about giving $100 to a family member who needs it or helping the homeless man, but it is with everything that people shrug off one another. Thanks to my growing relationship with God, I realized you have to take a leap of faith to help anyone. If you only have $300 in your checking account and had a bill of $200, but a family member needed $100, should you help the family member? yes help them! even if you had -200 as your balance afterwards. People are treating each other with such carelessness and mischievousness. People (not all) have this "help yourself" attitude that is spreading like crazing, and it's disgusting and vomit worthy. I am not speaking out of frustration, but I am just saying the unfortunate truth of what is happening.

I remember me and my friends were heading out a clothing store in manhattan, and while i was holding the door to get out, from outside i saw a woman who had a tool to help her walk. I kept holding the door thinking she was going to enter the store, but it just so happened she wasn't going into the store. A group of people passed by and said "he would had felt like he accomplished something", or at least they said something very similar to that. Now that i think about it, it's so disturbing to think people will feel embarrassed to attempt to help someone. They rather not help than to go and attempt to help. Embarrassment shouldn't even be in our minds when we NEED to help someone. It is shocking that the group of people who passed by mocked an act of kindness. God help us all.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Even something as simple and respectful as offering an elderly person or pregnant woman your seat on the bus doesn't seem to happen. I always offer my seat if there are no seats/if i'm sat at the front of a bus, my mum always told me and my brothers to, and we always have. I dont get it, its hardly a massive inconvenience :confused: :no:

Just realised this has been dragged up from 2010 -.-''
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Even something as simple and respectful as offering an elderly person or pregnant woman your seat on the bus doesn't seem to happen. I always offer my seat if there are no seats/if i'm sat at the front of a bus, my mum always told me and my brothers to, and we always have. I dont get it, its hardly a massive inconvenience :confused: :no:

Just realised this has been dragged up from 2010 -.-''

I know this has been dragged up but yeah!!! I always offer up my seat, but sometimes find it a bit awkward if say I'm sat on one of the middle-y seats on the tube, an elderly person gets on and NOONE offers their seat - I do and then the elderly person proceeds to stumble past other passengers' knees to get to my seat :/
  • Options
    I was getting confused because I didn't remember creating this thread recently, then the time stamp on the first post in the thread made me realise why I didn't remember ha.
  • Options
    I know this has been dragged up but yeah!!! I always offer up my seat, but sometimes find it a bit awkward if say I'm sat on one of the middle-y seats on the tube, an elderly person gets on and NOONE offers their seat - I do and then the elderly person proceeds to stumble past other passengers' knees to get to my seat :/

yup. I find it even more annoying when people sit in the aisle seat and put their bag or some other stupid item on the seat next to them. Then when someone gets on a clearly packed train/bus people can't even make eye contact let alone take the initiative to not be a selfish idiot and move their stuff. It's called public transport for a reason. If people can't deal with sitting next to a stranger than they should just walk everywhere or get a car
  • Options
    I find it even more annoying when people sit in the aisle seat and put their bag or some other stupid item on the seat next to them.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago at Tesco Banbury pharmacy. Was there to get a scrip, there's 3 seats. Bloke in 1, woman in another, her handbag and a bag of shopping on the 3rd. I asked her if she could move her bags, bitch says she needs the seat for her bags. I politely informed her she could move them or i would, no answer so i picked 'em up and lobbed 'em down the aisle.

The complete ignorant cuntyness of the human race, at times, amazes me still.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    This happened to me 2 weeks ago at Tesco Banbury pharmacy. Was there to get a scrip, there's 3 seats. Bloke in 1, woman in another, her handbag and a bag of shopping on the 3rd. I asked her if she could move her bags, bitch says she needs the seat for her bags. I politely informed her she could move them or i would, no answer so i picked 'em up and lobbed 'em down the aisle.

good for you! it's just ignorence of them that you should even have to ask. This always happens to me and I get a loud sigh like theyre doing me some huge favour when they deign to move their belongings
  • Options
    yup. I find it even more annoying when people sit in the aisle seat and put their bag or some other stupid item on the seat next to them. Then when someone gets on a clearly packed train/bus people can't even make eye contact let alone take the initiative to not be a selfish idiot and move their stuff. It's called public transport for a reason. If people can't deal with sitting next to a stranger than they should just walk everywhere or get a car

You have just described the sort of person that makes me most angry about public transport. RAGE.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Mannn you shouldn't even have to ask, and for her to say no! Jeeeez
  • Options
    Mannn you shouldn't even have to ask, and for her to say no! Jeeeez

People eh ?
  • Options
    It's called public transport for a reason. If people can't deal with sitting next to a stranger than they should just walk everywhere or get a car

Actually, I just have to take issue with this. I do have a lot of anxiety associated with my depression, and sometimes, I really can't handle people, and I don't have a choice but to take public transport. On the bigger trains (virgin ones) there's space between carriages for me to go sit/stand. But sometimes I really struggle.

It's not like me to try to see the best in people, but if you can, try to be more forgiving of the person who wants to defend themselves from other people, maybe it's their only option and they're having a bad day.
  • Options
    I can understand that some people especially those with anxiety may struggle. Part of my brother's CBT involved just going into a busy shop. But there's a difference between 'struggling'/being uncomfortable when someone sits next to you and doing what I suspect the majority of the people seem to do and act plain ignorent by making it really difficult to take a seat.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Actually, I just have to take issue with this. I do have a lot of anxiety associated with my depression, and sometimes, I really can't handle people, and I don't have a choice but to take public transport. On the bigger trains (virgin ones) there's space between carriages for me to go sit/stand. But sometimes I really struggle.

It's not like me to try to see the best in people, but if you can, try to be more forgiving of the person who wants to defend themselves from other people, maybe it's their only option and they're having a bad day.

Oh man. Trains. Oh god. Since my anxiety has started manifesting as OH GOD PEOPLE GO AWAY OH GOD, trains and stations are my most hated of everything. I try and sit in an end carriage where possible to minimise the people but usually I just end up having to just stare at my knitting and try not to make the freakout obvious when people sit next to/around me.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

So really the moral of the story is, if someone is a rude person and just putting their bags on a seat because they are inconsiderate, they could be causing more problems than they realise.