Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Derren Brown- Apocalypse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I just caught up with the first part today. Is anyone else watching it?

I'm hoping it's just a trick. I don't think you can legitimise potentially messing around with someone's head to this extent because they are 'lazy'/ a normal 20 something bloke.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I watched it... not quite sure what to think to be honest!
    Part of me was like "this is a bit unethical" but the other (larger) part of me was like "omg i fricking love zombies this is wicked".
    Part of me was like "this is a bit unethical" but the other (larger) part of me was like "omg i fricking love zombies this is wicked".

Haha same!! I did feel sorry for him though, imagining going through all that and then someone telling 'ha no, just kidding'
    is there a part 2 then?

i just watched it on youtube
    Yeah part 2 is this friday i believe :)
    I'm not sure what to think about it. Parts of it seem just a little bit implausible. However I do recognise that the realism of something like that might not come across over film too well. I think it was an interesting program, but more so because of the theory and themes behind it, rather than the content.
    I'm with yellowseahorse.. half the time thinking no way this is real and the other thinking well.... maybe... and they apparently vetted him psychologically beforehand to make sure he'd be able to cope... (although that doesn't exactly prove anything at all!) Either way, looking forward to part 2!

Someone forwarded me this q and a from Derren's blog the other day about it, interesting :chin: http://derrenbrown.co.uk/apocalypse-qa/
    That was really interesting Jo. I can understand that the people that took part may feel hurt that this 'life changing experience' is being demeaned through accusations of acting.

But it still doesn't sit right with me. When Derren says
    He is carefully taken through a powerful experience that brings him to a much better place – the result is a hugely positive one for him.
    It's kinda clear that the end result will be a happier Steven but it could easily have gone the other way. Plus who is Derren Brown to judge that his life previously was being wasted? I felt for his family and particularly his mum in Ep1 when she got upset and was saying she didn't even know if he loved her. But then as hurtful/disappointing as it must be- these concerns over a 20 something son/daughter are completely normal and to me don't warrant this big intentional head fuck.

Still gonna watch ep2 though but I can see how it will pan out. All will be redeemed because Steven will suddenly have made a success of himself, picked the right job and learnt to pick his dirty laundry off of the floor. All will be good..
    The whole thing was a load of bollocks. So many flaws.

One major one being, notice how he never swore. Sorry, he's a 21 year old guy who thinks he's woken up in a Zombie Apocalypse. He's going to swear. Quite a bit.
    yeah the no swearing thing made me a bit sus as well
    I think there was probably quite a bit of editing, and remember he was with a person he thought was a small kid for most of the time.

I think it was real, if he really were an actor then they must have got all his real friends, former colleagues, aquaintances e.t.c. to sign some pretty ironclad contract to not come forwards naming him.....