Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club: November Nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
And onto the next month!

In a poor attempt to make a really tenuous link with the whole Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes thing.. this month's theme will be... REVENGE

Nominations will be closed next Wednesday 31 October and the winners will be announced

But if you don't like particularly dark films- please don't be despondent. This could by anything from:
'My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father prepare to die'
to
'If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you'
and even
'So, I have this friend who is a new student this year. And I convinced her that it would be fun to mess up Regina George's life'

Also - if someone nominates a certain Korean film from a certain 'revenge' trilogy then I will personally high five them (in my head).

There are no limitations in how you interpret 'Revenge'... For example last month's theme was 'Horror' and Shyboy nominated 'Elf'. We don't judge you here.

It'll be the same as last month. There will be two winners (only one can be Certificate 18 to cater for the age demographic of TheSite.. if two 18's are chosen then the film the runner up that isn't an 18 will be chosen/ picked at random) Discussion will take place the week begining 19th November and chat will take place on Wednesday 28 November 7-8pm :)

When you post your nomination as well as the reason for your nomination it would be really handy if you could include what age certificate the film is as well as a trailer. However don't worry about this too much. I can just youtube and find the trailer when putting up the poll.

And as always the following disclaimer applies: We realise that TheSite.org is aimed at 16-25 year olds but we're aware some members of the community are under 16. Some of the films suggested in film club will be 15 certificate and above so if you're under 15 then you watch these films at your own risk.

go, go, go!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My nomination is Final Cut (1998) Cert. 18.
    The film opens with the cast gathering after the funeral of Jude to see a film he had been working on for two years. It turns out that the film is secret videos of all those gathered together in their most despicable moments including thievery, spousal abuse, adultery, etc. The revelations remove the masks from the so-called close friends.
    from IMDB.

Reason for nomination: It's quite interesting because all of the actors (Jude Law, Sadie Frost etc..) use their first name as the name for ther characters. Also it has Ray Winstone being a propaa badarse geeezaaaaa.
    Another.. Inglourious Basterds (2009)- 18
    In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same.
    from IMDB.

Reason for Nomination: This film is briliant. The amount of suspense in the opening scene kills me every time.
    Kill Bill Vol 1 (and 2?) 18
    The Bride wakes up after a long coma. The baby that she carried before entering the coma is gone. The only thing on her mind is to have revenge on the assassination team that betrayed her - a team she was once part of.
    Oooooh Final Cut looks good!
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Oooooh Final Cut looks good!

Yeah it's great :) I was soo in the mood to watch it last night but I left it at my mum's

another..

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) - 15
    Kevin's mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly vicious things he says and does as he grows up. But Kevin is just getting started, and his final act will be beyond anything anyone imagined.
    from IMDB.

Reason for Nomination: Tilda Swinton and I really don't think we'd be stuck for points to discuss after watching this film.
    bumpage. nominations guyssss
    V for Vendetta
    A shadowy freedom fighter known only as "V" uses terrorist tactics to fight against his totalitarian society. Upon rescuing a girl from the secret police, he also finds his best chance at having an ally.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

very fitting! :D
    Been trying to hold back but maybe one of my favourite films ever..

The Fall (2006)- 15
    In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm, a fantastic story of five mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality blurs as the tale advances.
    from IMDB

Reason for nomination: It's one of my favourite films ever. The cinematography is beautiful. It's just a brilliant film.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Does this cut it...

Micmacs
    A man and his friends come up with an intricate and original plan to destroy two big weapons manufacturers.
    :D

A beautiful french film that I watched a couple of weeks ago.
    sure does :D
    Edit, been testing.
    Hard Candy - 18

This is a bit of an iffy one I guess, it might make some people feel uncomfortable.
    After three weeks of chatting with the thirty-two year old photographer Jeff Kohlver over the Internet, fourteen year old Hayley Stark meets him in the Nighthawks coffee shop. Hayley flirts with him in spite of the age difference and proposes to go to his house. Once there, she prepares a screwdriver for them and Jeff passes out. When he awakes, he is tied up to a chair, and Hayley accuses him of pedophilia. Jeff denies the accusation, and Hayley begins to torture him in a cat and mouse game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-C2H4ipxz0
    My personal choice for movie based on theme of revenge would be:

Gladiator(2000)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/
    Nominations are now closed.

Poll will be up shortly :)