Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting over a stomach bug - bit gross sorry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So yesterday and the day before I basically couldn't get off the loo, and the day before that I had stomach cramps. I wasn't so bad yesterday and managed to eat in the afternoon and drink some rehydration sachets then didn't need to loo for the rest of today (until this morning, and it was hardly anything). And yesterday my trips to the loo were usually for next to nothing. Now when I rang nhs direct on the first day of the runs when it was really bad they said not to take any anti diarrhroea stuff incase it was a bug/infection and I needed to let it flush out. Well yesterday I had hardly any stomach pain and today I feel almost better (hungry) and don't seem to have any of those cramps. When I had something similar 2 years ago (it lasted a week though) I felt better but couldn't get rid of the runs - I figured my digestive system was thrown off balance and I needed to get back to uni/work so I took some immodium and it seemed to sort it. Now I'm wondering if I should do the same today? It's just become annoying now and I want to get my body back to normal. I have quite a tempramental stomach as it is (IBS) so it's very easily irritated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi,

sorry to hear you're not feeling well, but at least it's good news that your starting to feel better :) Obviously you do want to feel better but I personally think you should wait until at least tommorow as you are starting to feel better and I'd want to make sure it kept going that way and I didn't get worse. But that is my opinion so you know your body more than anyone and know what you need to do.

Hope you feel better soon :D
    Yes, immodium is good. And if you had good results with it before, it's worth trying again.

Here's also a website where you can learn more about stomachbug and how you can get rid of it: http://www.stomachbug.org

I hope this helps.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    How are you feeling today? xx
    I decided not to take it in the end as I didn't feel I really needed it and as of yesterday felt totally better. And have been pigging out to make up for it. :)
    Immodium is generally not that great for you unless your runs are definitely just IBS. Otherwise, things are better out than in!

For long term help, have you considered any probiotics? Doesn't have to be expensive or gimmicky - I found normal live yoghurt really helped with my IBS. Also, in the future, it can help to avoid dairy products until you are feeling better, cause they can aggravate cramps and diarrhoea.

Glad you're feeling better, though :)
    9/10 my runs are because my IBS is playing up, but this certainly wasn't that!
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    There is an up side to the runs, the pigging out after. xx (: Good that you're feeling better.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    9/10 my runs are because my IBS is playing up, but this certainly wasn't that!
    How can you tell it wasn't IBS?
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    How can you tell it wasn't IBS?

Because I know what my IBS feels like, it's more irritating but this was full on illness.
    Bit late now, but for future the advice I got from a very good but also practically minded medic was to stay off the immodium wherever possible as would get rid of the upset entirely quickest, but if needed to stop the symptoms to get something done then there was no real harm in it. His explanation was that the downside of taking it is you're just delaying the total recovery, but sometimes that's necessary.

The other suggestion was to have some in pocket/bag as it works very quickly, so if think might be ok don't take it until 1st loo visit proves you actually need it.