Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Film Club- October/Halloween Discussion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi guys

The very first discussion :hyper:

Hope you enjoyed one or both of this month's films; Silence of the Lambs and The Addams Family. Just a reminder that chat for this month's films as well as any general film chat will take place on Wednesday 31st October at 7pm.

Warning: Both this discussion and chat are probably going to contain spoilers.

I've added a few questions to kick off discussion. Feel free to add your own or ignore them altogether :)

So to begin with our first film: Silence of the Lambs

silences.jpg

Favourite standout performance? The obvious choice is Anthony Hopkins but although I thought he was brilliant it was Ted Levine's portrayal of Buffalo Bill that made the biggest impression on me. The character was a good mixture of sinister and grotesque. The perfect serial killer!

Most memorable scene? It's difficult but the scene in which the police officers are just begining to realise that Hannibal has escaped and they are looking at the elevator as it steadily moves towards the 3rd floor. I know what happens because I've seen the films a few times but I am still genuinely on the edge of my seat. The suspense kills meeeeeeeee.

Any interesting tidbit of trivia to share or did you spot a mistake? No mistakes because I'm not one of those annoying people (or as eagle-eyed) :p But according to IMDB: "The first moth cocoon found in one of the victim's throats was made from a combination of "Tootsie-Rolls" and gummy bears, so that if she swallowed it, it would be edible"... yummy!

Now onto our second film: The Addams Family

addamsfamilymoviestillp.jpg

Favourite standout performance? I love, love, love Anjelicka Houston as Morticia but the star of the film for me is really Christian Lloyd as Fester. I still find it difficult believing that he's the same person that the Dr in Back to the Future. I liked the truly rigid way he held his entire body and his voice reminded me of someone who was constipated..

Most memorable scene? Wednesday has some great lines. One of my favourite's being this exchange:
Wednesday: Pugsley, sit in the chair.
Pugsley: Why?
Wednesday: So we can play a game.
Pugsley: What game?
Wednesday: [strapping him in] It's called, "Is There a God?"

But I love the scene with Morticia and Gomez at the charity auction when they get scarily carried away. Maybe the most passionate and romantic film couple ever?

Any interesting tidbit of trivia to share or did you spot a mistake? Still no mistakes that I saw but to link it with our first film of the month apparently Anthony Hopkins turned down the role of Uncle Fester....

Look forward to reading your thoughts :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The Silence of the Lambs

Favourite standout performance? Anthony Hopkins. He's quite disturbing as Lecter.

Most memorable scene? There's a few. But yeah, the lift scene and in the ambulance when Hannibal takes the face off. Urgh. The Buffalo Bill scene where I finally figured out what he was making out of the bodies.

Any interesting tidbit of trivia to share or did you spot a mistake? When filming on set, Anthony Hopkins invented the slurping type sound that Hannibal Lecter does and everyone thought it was great. I don't - it's creepy :shocking:

The Addams Family

Most memorable scene? I like all the Wednesday and Pugsley scenes.
    Morticia: Children, what are you doing?
    Wednesday: I'm going to electrocute him.
    Morticia: But we're late for the charity auction.
    Wednesday: But, Mother...
    Morticia: I said no.
    Pugsley: Pleeaaaase?
    Morticia: Oh, all right.

Favourite standout performance? Christinia Ricci as Wednesday. I love her in The Addams Family. Just the way she looks and acts. The one time she smiles and it's creepy.

Any interesting tidbit of trivia to share or did you spot a mistake? The name Wednesday is a reference to the line in the Mother Goose poem that goes, "Wednesday's child is full of woe."
    Maybe the most passionate and romantic film couple ever?

Lol, yeah.
  • Options
    Baa- I agree with you about Silence of the Lambs when Lecter takes his face off in the ambulance. When I first watched it and every time I watch it I still get the horrible chilling feeling when it dawns on me that he's in the ambulance. Ughhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of the screen play at the part where the SWAT team are at the house they think buffalo bill is in, they're ringing the doorbell and it's going off in the basement, but it's actually Clarice setting off the doorbell. It keeps you guessing, especially if you hadn't already read the book.
  • Options
    is the book very different to the film? i havent read it
  • Options
    My favourite scene is Clarice meeting him for the first time in his cell. Even though you know he,s locked up the clear glass makes it seem like he's standing right in front of you and I love how his eyes seem to look straight through you. fantastic actor, the sequel red dragon is not bad either
  • Options
    is the book very different to the film? i havent read it

Not significantly