Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just how important is professionalism at works?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I lack professionalism at work where I give out samples at Sam's Club. For instance, i used to talk lots of slangs and talk in text, telling ppl brb instead of saying be right back, for example. I stopped that in May.

I spilled something on my shirt while closing on August 17. A male coworker joked about wet t shirt contest. I splashed him and went, "Wet t shirt contest, jerk!" Then after we both sang "call me maybe" I jokingly told him here's my number so call me. Someone reported us and our supervisor turned us in to HR, who let that slide ultimately without even an investigation. Before that, we flirted in similar ways. Since then, I stopped with the sexual innuendos.

I use to talk a lot about partying and booze and how I got wasted from time to time. Stopped a month ago.

Then there's screwing around on the sales floor and closing time, which I also stopped a couple month ago.

Two weeks ago, however, I talked too loud in the break room. Also, I said I missed a coworker who recently quit so I can't focus. That was October 6. Now I'm not scheduled beyond the 20th. I'm just on-call. Good thing they actually call me in when someone is unable to report to work bc if not, I'll be screwed. Is this right?

Comments

• Options
    I cant say for sure if its right of not, but it sounds like you have done a few things to make people wary of your behaviour.

Wait and see how things pan out as it might blow over, but do try to avoid inappropriate behaviour in future.
  • Options
    Thx. I checked my schedule online half an hour ago and she added me on the schedule for next week. It's only one day but it's something lol.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the environment you work in, but in my office professionalism is everything, at least if you want to be taken seriously and move up.

But if you're not planning your career at where you are now, I wouldn't worry about it that much
  • Options
    Hey there Kissmekate,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for posting your query.

How professional you need to be at work depends on where you work. But as Lord of Little says being professional does get you noticed for the right reasons.

Have you looked at our Working Guide on theSite.org? - http://thesite.org/workandstudy/working

It's got some informative articles about working life.

You may like to consider your motivations for working at this place and your long term goals. Maybe you're not actually happy in this role and therefore aren't taking it seriously?

You may also want to consider how your behaviour would affect any reference that is given by your current employer when/if you apply for other jobs.

Hope this helps.

:)
  • Options
    Professionalism is everything end of story. Obviously if you are a nursery nurse you will be expected to act in a very different way then if you are a lawyer. But when it comes down to it, work is a place to ultimately work. They have hired you to take on a job and your paid to do that to the best of your ability. You may be bored of your job so think messing okay is good, but think about it; if you had a company and had someone work for you that was acting the same way you are, would you pleased to have that person work for you?

I'm not trying to give you a rant, but I do think it's funny that you have to ask whether talking about getting drunk is ultimately okay at work?

Always remember that work + play are two different things and you should keep your behaviours completely different for the two. Yes perhaps you have been put on the books for a day next week which you deem as "ok" but do you honestly think you've been a good worker?