Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Venlafaxine MR too expensive for NHS?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dr after nearly 6 months of taking the modified release venlafaxine has said that its too expensive and they will only give me the normal one. The normal one has a short active time and gives it all to you in one shot and it can make your moods really erratic. I don't know what I can do in order to make them see how important it is and why I need the MR. I'm finally starting to feel better in terms of mood.

Any ideas? I've already spoken to my psychiatrist and he can't make my GP give me what I need they can only suggest it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about talk to your GP / pharmacist and see if they can give you any advice on when to take it, e.g. morning or night, and whether taking smaller doses more frequently would be an option for you?

Have you actually tried the normal one? It could be fine.....
    I just got prescribed 3 boxes of it on Monday (didn't realise before that that was what it was, but apparently it is!) with no problem.

So I don't think it's an NHS problem :/
    Ask for it in writing from your Doctor.

write to your MP, your FPC, your local newspaper.

Easy to say, but if you need to take Venlafaxine, probably not so easy to do
    My local PCT are cracking down on doctors prescribing expensive medications - it's happening all over the county, so I'm going to try PALS and if I get no joy then I'll go to my MP (especially considering his office is jut around the corner).

I'm worried they'll do the same with my other medication too, which will leave me totally dependent on codeine and probably confined to a wheelchair or bed.
    but isn't that prescribing brands instead of generics they're tightening up on?
    My mum had the same problem with escitalopram (too expensive) and citalopram (ineffective). It's a PCT issue, and I don't know what you can do.

Having said that, I did some work with Mind on medications, etc. (a focus group and some research) and they're definitely looking into it so contacting your local branch might not be a bad idea. They also have volunteer advocates, who might help.

I got the normal venlafaxine by mistake (pharmacy mistake) one month and it didn't agree with me at all.
    It is a PCT issue (actually now more a CCG which is run by GPs, but that's my technical knowledge) and it's about cost effective medicine. In the main it's about moving people from branded to generics (which can save a fortune!) and looking at the evidence based effectiveness of (as examples given) citalporam vs escitalopram. In most cases the cheaper drug is just as effective so why pay more?

However, none of this detracts from the GPs own clinical responsibility. The decision about changing your meds is theirs and theirs alone. The CCG (or PCT) can only offer guidance, they cannot instruct the GP to change meds. The GP should also be taking your individual circumstances into account - the guidance is never a 'one size fits all' approach.

So, you need to challenge your GP. Don't take the "PCT says I can't" crap, that's an excuse they use to avoid confrontation. It is always their decision. Always. Besides, the CCG has effectively replaced the PCT now and the CCG is managed by GPs, so in effect the GP is blaming themselves without you realising!
    piccolo wrote: »
    My mum had the same problem with escitalopram (too expensive) and citalopram (ineffective). It's a PCT issue, and I don't know what you can do..

She should challenge on that basis. For most people they won't notice the difference and escitalopram is £30 per month more expensive. However, if citalopram isn't working for her then she should raise that with GP. PCT "not letting" is a poor and undefendable excuse.