Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ongoing physical and mental health problem ruining everything

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have had mental health problems for many years but recently, over the last few months, I have developed various physical health problems as well. My GP thinks it's all related as the physical health problems are caused or worsened by stress. I've had ibs for a while now, badly since the summer. It stops me going out. Like today I was meant to go to a therapy group for the mental health problems but I couldn't as I'm in too much pain. Also last week I had a kidney infection (pyelonethritis) that was really bad, it seems to have gone or at least be going now but we are still monitering it. That was agony, I couldn't stand up for more than a minute or so at a time due to the pain, I had a fever and felt really sick. I also have a virus at the moment. Also about three weeks ago I had thrush, that has gone now though. Also I have bad acne, this is embarassing and also makes me not want to go out. I have a hospital appointment for it next month. I have tried loads of treatments and nothing works. Also with the ibs I seem to have various food intolerances and really struggle with dairy - milk, cheese / coconut / fatty foods - nuts, korma, chips, mcdonalds / apricots and various other fruits / brown food and wholemeal foods that are meant to be healthy but my body can't take the fibre.

I don't know why I made this post but I feel my life is going badly because of the health stuff. I really struggle to get out so when I do the anxiety is really bad as I'm not used to being outside. Also the physical stuff is getting in the way of the treatment for the mental health stuff, I missed therapy all last week due to the kidney infection, was back on Monday but struggled to concentrate as I didn't feel well and then missed today due to the ibs.

I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    I don't really have anything helpful to suggest, but I wanted to send you some *hug*'s. Stay strong- have you spoken to your doctor about how bad the physical side is at the moment? Could they prescribe you stronger medication?
    Also, I know it'll be difficult, but it might be worth trying a vegan diet for a few days.. my dad and my sister both follow a vegan diet for health reasons (I'm vegan too, although it's personal choice) so if you need any advice on what to eat etc. please feel free to PM me :)
  • Options
    Thanks BA.

I am already a vegetarian and have been having soya milk and avoiding cheese and yogurt. I tried non-dairy cheese but it was pretty gross but I quite like the soya milk (also tried 'rice milk' but didn't like that one). I went to a vegan cafe a few weeks ago with a friend, I had a banofee pie but it was made with coconut cream and that was a bit of a disaster! So looks like I still have to be careful with the vegan foods.

I whinge to my doctor on a weekly basis about it all, she is very sympathetic and prescribes me lots of things.

Its just all so hard. I'm only 28. I can't live like this.
  • Options
    I know Hun, I'm in the same boat! Have you tried the expert patient scheme?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    foods that are meant to be healthy but my body can't take the fibre.

Which is the crux of some digestive complaints. The fibre doesn't get broken down so as it travels through your tubes, when it gets to the sensitive bits it scrapes along the sore bits, making it worse. Same with things like nuts, they dont get fully digested.

As for some of the infections, stress can and does play a major part. We all gets all kinds of infections, some quite lethal, but usually our immune system copes. But at times of stress our immune system takes a battering and these infections become opportunistic and take advantage. Thrush/fungal infections, sore throats, coughs, chest/bacterial infections are common with a suppressed/lowered immune system. And the mental issues are gonna make things worse. I know that doesn't exactly help, but it's probably the reason why.
  • Options
    Big hugs Rg
    For your acne have you tried a cream called dovobet? I know someone who had bad acne and this cream got rid of it.
  • Options
    Nice to see you aroudn rubberskin! Great advice there.

What I would say is similar to what MissRiot is saying is being proactive in your healthcare and conditions. I think you need to work out ways to focus on 'macro' health objectives like sleep, diet, routine, activity - to ensure you are at your most stable to deal with all the other ailments that are coming your way. Then you can break them down and approach them one by one. I would really talk to your doctor about all of them as well, use him/her as a partner in getting your healthiness up. It's not necessarily about 'fixing' everything to be perfectly healthy tomorrow, but an approach where you can look at some quick and easy wins to feel better and increase your wellbeing are well worth attacking.

I think it's called holistic healthcare, but not in the spiritual sense. Essentially that a lot of health aspects are connected and getting some of the big overarching things right can help all of them.

Hope this helps x