Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Good deed thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's a section in the newspaper I read every morning that I really like. People send in their experiences of good deeds done for them - like falling over on a train platform and someone helping them up. I thought we could all share our good deeds, whether on the recieving or giving end!

About two years ago I was making my way to hospital on a bus late at night, I was hysterically crying, when I got off the bus a woman in a long purple coat got off too and she asked me if I wanted to talk about anything and then gave me a big hug. It's not much but I won't forget it. Thank you caring purple lady!

Your turn... :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like this thread. Which is all the approval anyone needs.

There was a nice man at tesco who wanted the same space as I did and he let me have it.

Next...
    Even though its part of my job i always feel good when i help a disabled person or someone with a baby/pushchair to their table with their tray and they actually appreciate the help. Of course you still get the ones that wont even give you a thanks but 99% of people make up for it
    Someone I don't know that well sent me a pm on our knitting website to ask if I was okay as she hadn't seen me at the knitting shop for a while. I thought this was really sweet.
    Few years ago I was sitting waiting for a lesson at school crying. A guy who I barely knew at the time came over from his friends to ask what was wrong. When I said nothing he was like 'Is it family? Friends? School?' When I said it wasn't school he told me I should never have to worry about school anyhow 'cos apparently I'll always do well. Really cheered me up hearing that from someone I'd never spoken to. Thanks James.

Nina x
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    A friend of mine was going to drive me somewhere I needed to get to that would be 8 hours in total there and back within a day - she didn't need to go there at all - and she wouldn't let me pay for petrol.

She does count as a friend rather than a stranger, but I'm not sure I could ask that of many people, never mind them offer it without being asked.
    Helen that's really nice :)

This one is an unknowing good deed. A friend text asking if I fancied meeting up for lunch tomorrow at exactly the right time. I was feeling downhearted annoyed at a lazy flatmate who refuses to get out of his dressing gown and leaves his pants on the kitchen table... and slowly descending into Come Dine with Me repeat madness. She's my saviour :heart:
    Good deed for today - someone messaged me on tumblr asking how I was. It isn't much but it's enough to know that people care, you know? :)
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    My Dad just got a massive spider out of my room for me.
    When I broke my leg, 7 people stopped to help. 5 of those stayed with me to call the ambulance, plus my mate's fiance's brother (I was on my way to her hen do) and my two best friends from school stayed in the hospital with me for five hours.

People can be excellent.
    piccolo wrote: »
    When I broke my leg, 7 people stopped to help. 5 of those stayed with me to call the ambulance, plus my mate's fiance's brother (I was on my way to her hen do) and my two best friends from school stayed in the hospital with me for five hours.

People can be excellent.

One time I had an asthma attack and was lying sort of conscious in the street and several people actually stepped over me, and no one stopped to ask if I was ok/call an ambulance etc.

However the other day it was late at night and I needed to buy a train ticket but the machine was only accepting cards, which I didn't have, so I couldn't buy a ticket. So I sat down and had a little panic by the machine, and a women came over and asked what was going on, so I told her, and she paid for my ticket with her card. And the ticket costed £3.40, so I gave her £4.00, thanked her a lot and walked away, but she came running after me and gave me 60p.
    grace wrote: »
    However the other day it was late at night and I needed to buy a train ticket but the machine was only accepting cards, which I didn't have, so I couldn't buy a ticket. So I sat down and had a little panic by the machine, and a women came over and asked what was going on, so I told her, and she paid for my ticket with her card. And the ticket costed £3.40, so I gave her £4.00, thanked her a lot and walked away, but she came running after me and gave me 60p.

Awwww :heart:

Nothing like this has ever happened to me but i hope there are people like this around if/when it does
    My english teacher the other day asked me to stay after class to ask if I was ok because I had seemed down. Usually I'd try and block it with sarcasm but her asking meant a lot and cheered me up. :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Went to the offy last night and on the way in a homeless bloke asked for some change. I didn't have any but got him ten fags in the shop and gave him a can of beer on the way out.

Something I quite often do, and something I picked up off a mate of mine who himself used to be homeless.
    Weekender Offender 
    Wow. Flashback.
    Just remembered once I was in a coffee shop when I was younger reading by myself, feeling v.self conscious. I didn't have any friends and things at home were horrible. A man walked over and said "It's going to get better. You'll do well" , very reassuring and wise, even though I didn't really know what he was on about.
    Took me a while to see what he meant and the wisdom of his words, but he's amazing for even coming up to me.
    Thank you coffee shop dude.
    Gave blood today, I know loads of people do it everyday but it was my first time so.... :)
    MeganM wrote: »
    Gave blood today, I know loads of people do it everyday but it was my first time so.... :)

:thumb: Well done! How was it? Did you enjoy your free biscuit and squash?!

:thumb:

The penguins are the best :yum:
    MeganM wrote: »

I tried to do this a while ago and they refused me because my veins are all 'stringy'. Moo
    A couple of weeks ago I broke down in the middle of the road and a group of hardened footie fans pushed my car to a safe place at the roadside without me even having to ask.

There are good people in the world :)
    I was crying at the station because I was lost and late, and a slightly mad seeming elderly lady with pearls and lipstick came up to me, gave me a clean hanky, and told me to stop being silly and that it wasn't worth crying about, before spending a good ten minutes showing me on the map and explaining how I could get to where I wanted to go.

I did endeed enjoy it, can't beat shortbread. No juice though, not a fan - had water instead :) But... yeah, it was cool! :)