Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Book Club: November nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Howdy.

It's that time of the month again... November's book club theme will be

HORROR

Muahahahaha :shocking: *ahem* Reading can commence from the Witching Hour on Hallowe'en.

Nomation format:
Book: Snuff by Terry Pratchett | Kindle Edition

Synopsis: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all...
From Amazon

Reason for Nomination: Any reason you like can go here. The above is an example, and was our book for March 2012, so no nominating!

5. As I did above, if there is a Kindle/e-reader edition, put a separate link to that, please (On Amazon, there is a "Start reading [book] on your Kindle..." link under the image).

Nominations commence... now!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (paperback, epub, Kindle)

Synopsis: "Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she's the most important person in the whole world. She is. Anthony Carter doesn't think he could ever be in a worse place than Death Row. He's wrong. FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming. It is."

Reason for nomination: Based on the concept / synopsis I would never have read this book, but I was given a preview and got totally hooked. Everyone I know who's read it has loved it. And the sequel is out. Squee!
    Cabal by Clive Barker (recommended by Jim V!)

Synopsis: A fabulous journey through the mind of the master of dark imaginative fiction, Clive Barker.

The nightmare had begun?.

Boone knew that there was no place on this earth for him now; no happiness here, not even with Lori. He would let Hell claim him, let Death take him there.

But Death itself seemed to shrink from Boone. No wonder, if he had indeed been the monster who had shattered, violated and shredded so many others? lives.

And Decker had shown him the proof ? the hellish photographs where the last victims were forever stilled, splayed in the last obscene moment of their torture.

Boone?s only refuge now was Midian ? that awful, legendary place in which gathered the half-dead, the Nightbreed?

Reason for nomination: Because Jim V says it's good :D
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Oooh ooh, this means I can nominate my friend's book

Hollow Pike by James Dawson

Synopsis:

Apparently even books have trailers now...

:D
    The Shining by Stephen King

Synopsis: Danny is only five years old, but in the words of old Mr Hallorann he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, Danny's visions grow out of control.

As winter closes in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seems to develop a life of its own. It is meant to be empty. So who is the lady in Room 217 and who are the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why do the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?

Somewhere, somehow, there is an evil force in the hotel - and that, too, is beginning to shine . . .

Reason for nomination: Because it's Stephen King - master of horror! This is probably the best introduction to him (not too long and a perfect example of his amazing storytelling and descriptions), so I picked it for that.
    Fifty Shades of Grey.

Well it scared the hell out of me.
    Fifty Shades of Grey.

Well it scared the hell out of me.
    you read it?
    Only a couple of days left to nominate, you lot!
    Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

Synopsis: (pinched from amazon)
    In a darkened room a young man sits telling the macabre and eerie story of his life - the story of a vampire, gifted with eternal life, cursed with an exquisite craving for human blood. Anne Rice's compulsively readable novel is arguably the most celebrated work of vampire fiction since Bram Stoker's Dracula was published in 1897. As the Washington Post said on its first publication, it is a 'thrilling, strikingly original work of the imagination ...sometimes horrible, sometimes beautiful, always unforgettable'.

Reason for Nomination: I read this many moons ago and remember it making an impression because I called my albino gerbil Lestat. What bigger complement is there??
    Going to put the poll up tomorrow lunchtime guys :)

Also, on behalf of piccolo:

Book: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Synopsis: THE STORY:
    An intelligent and promising young student indulges a moment of thoughtless scientific passion and creates life. Horrified at himself, Victor Frankenstein shuns the creature and attempts to continue his life without thinking about it. The creature, however, is lost in an unkind world and he never stops thinking about Frankenstein.
    Going to put the poll up tomorrow lunchtime guys :)

Also, on behalf of piccolo:

Book: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Synopsis: THE STORY:
    An intelligent and promising young student indulges a moment of thoughtless scientific passion and creates life. Horrified at himself, Victor Frankenstein shuns the creature and attempts to continue his life without thinking about it. The creature, however, is lost in an unkind world and he never stops thinking about Frankenstein.

Reason for nomination: It's amazing. And Mary Shelley was only 18 when she wrote it.