Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The frustrating thing about mood swings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I've posted before about me having extreme mood swings (but not full blown mania thank god) and about the Dr considering me for bipolar...

I don't know if anybody else who has mood swings gets this... But one thing that annoys me is people who may have experienced depression pushing advice on me. The thing is, my depressions have changed rapidly over the past few years, in their nature and in their severity... So the whole "just try to be positive and go for a run" just doesn't work for me, if I am so exhausted I can only get up to go to the bathroom and don't even have the energy to cook food...

I think a lot of people can't really understand what it's like, to not know where you'll be next week and to have such severe depression for no apparent reason...

I know I am just ranting, but I do feel a bit fed up that I don't know a single person who seems to understand what I am going through.

Comments

• Options
    *hugs* too you.
    It's difficult, but you'll find there's more people than what you think that understand.

With myself, I don't leave the house, unless I really have to. And sometimes I force myself to make apts etc just to get out. It's not easy. I understand where you're coming from, and you're not alone in this. The ''get up and go for a run'' doesn't help everyone. It's just proven that becoming more active can help depression.
  • Options
    That's why my closest friends are ones I've met in mental hospitals and pscyhiatric units - they 'get it' when others don't.
  • Options
    Yes!

So many people seem to think they get it... But you can't understand without experiencing something. Many people come from a place of compassion, but it can just be tiring because some people don't understand needing to be alone, or why somebody feels depressed, even if they have no reason...

It just makes things worse.

RandomGirl, have you ever used support groups?
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Depression is hard to understand as their are different kinds of levels, brought on by many different things, affecting you over tiny stupid stuff, or sometimes for no reason at all.
    Some people find they get more aggressive and angry way too easily. Others get so down they can't function, not even moving from bed.

That's why sometimes what others advise isn't all that use to you. For example, 1 person who as depression and self harms, might find what helps another with just depression doesn't work for them.

Its important to find the best way that suits you. So its worth trying all sorts to find that one technique that can help you through the day.
    And I wouldn't say to try and be positive, but I can understand why others would, because its a circle, the more negative you are the worse you feel. With me I just kept adding my own negative thoughts about myself to what others said, repeating over and over making me more ill.
    The technique that works for me is talking about it, working it out. I try to see why I'm feeling low- what was the trigger?
    I hope you find someone who does understand you. *hug* xx
  • Options
    My severe bout was probably triggered by stress at work/controlling gf/family member's overdose all within a couple of months, but I have always had extreme mood shifts over months. I kinda wonder if an extreme build up of stress caused me to relapse so low I couldn't function.

I can feel myself going in to depression again, which I wonder if it is triggered by lack of sleep and food on holiday.

Intellectually, I'm positive and have my shit together, but these mood fluctuations don't always make sense. This is why it pisses me off when people try and give me advice, like they have things together more than me, or like I need to buck up my self-esteem...

Something doesn't have to be 'wrong' for a person to experience mood swings... Sometimes it just happens.

I agree, that everybody experiences depression at times... But depression has many forms... Unipolar, bipolar, psychotic ect

ETA: One of the things annoying me most is when I confide in people and they say "oh, it's just work, work is making you ill"... When I am well, I can handle two, or three person's workload easily and have had lots of temporary promotions... But just because they struggle with work, they assume nothing is wrong with me but how I react to my job.

This is why I have stopped sharing my feelings. I'm bottling it until I get to a support meet where hopefully, people will listen and not just talk at me like they know me better than I know myself.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Yes!

So many people seem to think they get it... But you can't understand without experiencing something. Many people come from a place of compassion, but it can just be tiring because some people don't understand needing to be alone, or why somebody feels depressed, even if they have no reason...

It just makes things worse.

RandomGirl, have you ever used support groups?

Yeah I've done lots of group therapy stuff, also their is a women's crisis house here where I've made friends on stays there. I also did a group with women sexually abused as children and they get it mostly get it too, although the others aren't quite as mental as me. I have a good friend with 'depression' but she often says stuff that upsets me, she thinks she gets it but often doesn't.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    My severe bout was probably triggered by stress at work/controlling gf/family member's overdose all within a couple of months, but I have always had extreme mood shifts over months. I kinda wonder if an extreme build up of stress caused me to relapse so low I couldn't function.

I can feel myself going in to depression again, which I wonder if it is triggered by lack of sleep and food on holiday.

Intellectually, I'm positive and have my shit together, but these mood fluctuations don't always make sense. This is why it pisses me off when people try and give me advice, like they have things together more than me, or like I need to buck up my self-esteem...

Something doesn't have to be 'wrong' for a person to experience mood swings... Sometimes it just happens.

I agree, that everybody experiences depression at times... But depression has many forms... Unipolar, bipolar, psychotic ect

ETA: One of the things annoying me most is when I confide in people and they say "oh, it's just work, work is making you ill"... When I am well, I can handle two, or three person's workload easily and have had lots of temporary promotions... But just because they struggle with work, they assume nothing is wrong with me but how I react to my job.

This is why I have stopped sharing my feelings. I'm bottling it until I get to a support meet where hopefully, people will listen and not just talk at me like they know me better than I know myself.

You're right. There doesn't have to be anything wrong to make you feel a certain way.
    I get so confused when I have moments where I just can't hold back the tears. For no reason at all, I'd be going about my daily routine and just start tearing up. Or find myself getting angry at something that wouldn't usually bother me.
    I think it's just a malfunction every now and then in the brain. The reason I think this; someone suffering with depression once told me how the meds work. That there's a chemical or hormone, or something in the brain that is lacking, and the medication is used to top that up, giving your will power a fighting chance.

I personally don't think any of us know ourselves completely, so how can anyone else?
    Also everyone likes to be alone every now and again, so they should understand that, but I guess they just worry and want to help too much!

The lack of sleep and food can't be helping. Are you keeping yourself hydrated enough? xx
  • Options
    Yeah... Past few days, I've been feeling emotionally crap, but I have managed to go to the gym twice and am eating and drinking healthily.
  • Options
    A bit of an update...

For the first time in about six months, I had the energy to go out after work and I went to a Bipolar group last week. I introduced myself and people asked me a few questions about what I had experienced, the sensations I get (being hypomanic, or depressed) and how I cope...

The people there, well some of them, really helped me in that it's good to feel less alone in everything. I mean I'm a loner by heart, but feeling like nobody understood made me feel shite...

I am also on new meds and spoke to my new boss today about what I'm going through and she was really nice...

I actually have the energy in the past two weeks to do more than just sleep and the bare minimum in work. I still feel quite emotionally dead inside, but I hurt less and see this as progress. Hopefully, I'll feel happiness soon.
  • Options
    I think we take things too hard sometimes and it causes many kinds of issues. Thing is that a wound outside can be seen but what we bear on our brain is invisible yet most destructive :( Good to know that you're getting better now.
  • Options
    Good for you hun. Keep at it. xx