Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Neighbour and Ringing the RSPCA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We've had a neighbours big, white rabbit in our front garden for 3 days now. When we first saw it we let them know. They said they'd be round to get it. Sent a boy who must have been about 12 to try to get it. He attempted for about 5 minutes and then went home.

Me and my boyfriend went round there this morning to let them know rabbit is still in the front garden and our cat was chasing it so we've locked her in. She said theyd be over today to get it and that the rabbit kept escaping from its run by digging out and that once they caught it then they'd keep it in a hutch...

I've been really worried because although the rabbit seems happy (just eating weeds all the time). We live in a rural area and it's getting cold at night now. Me and my boyfriend have tried to catch it ourselves but its just too fast. I rang the RSPCA today for advice. She told us to go and tell the neighbour that they needed to try again tonight and to at least put out food and water in a box to try and tempt it in. If they still dont take any action then I have to ring them tomorrow.

So.. my boyfriend went and knocked again. The 12 year old kid answered and said his parents weren't in. My boyfriend said that they need to get the rabbit soon. Boy said they'd get it tomorrow.. Then my boyfriend said that they needed to at least leave it some food and water in our garden to try and tempt it into a box. He said 'Yeah will do'.

Well they haven't been over with any food or water or a box. So I put the cat carrier outside with a bowl of water next to it. Rabbit is eating plenty of weeds from our lawn so not too worried about food.

Should I ring the RSPCA tomorrow as they told me to or should I give them another day because the boy said that they'd get it tomorrow? Although the mum said this morning when we went over that theyd get it today.

I'm just cautious because we live in a tiny village and although we're moving soon really cant be arsed with a big dispute. It'd be obvious that we rang the RSPCA. But at the same time they are shit owners who seem quite happy to leave their pet to face the elements/foxes. What do I do guys?

Comments

• Options
    I think the smell of cat might keep the rabbit out of the box, but some carrot may just tempt it in.

Other than that, try not to worry about it - you've done your bit.
  • Options
    But I haven't. RSPCA won't get involved until I ring again.
  • Options
    I'd ring if I was you, you've asked and asked again, I think if they really cared abut the rabbit they would have acted on it by now! They aren't taking care of it by leaving it out in the elements, are they?

I'm sure there is a family out there who would happily give it a loving home!
  • Options
    Why not pick it up yourselves and take it back?
  • Options
    Why not pick it up yourselves and take it back?

We've tried quite a few times now armed with celery and lettuce and a laundry basket. Everytime we get close enough it scarpers into the next door's garden (not the people who own the rabbit- they live next door to them). Plus I dont fancy being kicked in the stomach by it. It's huge.

Im thinking about knocking again but this would be the 4th time. I want to avoid a confrontation but I'm thinking about just saying if it isn't gone by lunch time I'll ring the RSPCA. It's cold and grey today and looks like it may rain. So I'm thinking about just ringing the RSPCA anyway but can imagine getting hassle from them because it's obvious who would have done it. But what do they expect
  • Options
    Knock, warn, call. Job done pregnant lady. Plus pregnant chicks can get away with all sorts.
  • Options
    I'd knock one more time and then phone again. They don't seem to care about the rabbit at all and if it does go back to them it'll probably just escape again anyway!
  • Options
    You read my mind sometimes. I'm wearing a maternity dress to fully complete my vulnerable look. I'll give it a go but am expecting hassle.
  • Options
    You have obviously made a concerted and continued effort to try and resolve this situation, I'd go around one more time and play the expectant mother card if you need to. If the situation doesn't get resolved, I would call the RSPCA because after all, all the rabbit has done is munch on your garden, and seems to deserve better than what your neighbours have offered.
  • Options
    I rang the RSPCA instead. We've spoken to them on 3 seperate occassions and I'm home on my own so chickened out of knocking on their door.

An RSPCA officer is gonna ring me back and hopefully come over today. They said that if the neighbour confronts me about it just to deny it.
  • Options
    Things not to do;

Invite them around for rabbit stew.
  • Options
    Officer from RSPCA rang back and told me she can't come round and that I had to either catch the rabbit myself or sort the 'dispute' out with my neighbour and get them to come and get it.

errrrrr

I tried.
  • Options
    What's your problem? Is it that you've got a rabbit in your front garden that you don't want, or is it for the rabbits welfare?

If it's for the rabbits welfare, then it seems to be doing a reasonably good job of looking after itself. If it wanst to hide from your cat/foxes/rain it can make its way back to your run. If you don't want it in your garden, the letting the cat back out will likely encourage it back to its home.
  • Options
    It's a domestic rabbit. I was mostly concerned for its welfare because it's getting cold at night, we live in a rural area and the weather is worsening.

I find it difficult to comprehend how an owner can leave their rabbit out for 3 days and nights to fend for itself against foxes, cats and cars. I don't think it's that difficult to understand.
  • Options
    Our rabbit used to escape for ages at a time and come home pregnant. I think it's what rabbits do. Also next door's rabbit would get into our garden and ur... get our rabbit pregnant. There is a theme here.
  • Options
    What RG is trying to say, is buy a rabbit, and get cute little rabbit babies :D I'm sure that's what she meant ;)
  • Options
    My boyfriend wants us to take it when we move :p Cats all the way!

It's back in the front garden again. For a moment I thought they had actually rescued it
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to get at you - sorry it came across that way. The point I was trying to make is that given that it seems to be doing pretty well at surviving by lasting this long, you probably don't need to worry overly about it. And if the RSPCA aren't concerned enough to come around and get it then it's not an animal welfare issue in their eyes which will hopefully reassure you.

By the sounds of it, even though it's a domestic rabbit - it's one that's used to living in a run so the temperature shouldn't be too much of a problem for it.

Good for checking though.
  • Options
    Thanks SM. The neighbours caught it earlier apparently but it's in our garden again. I'm glad I tried everything I could though.
  • Options
    If it gets eaten, then it's nature at work. There's quite probably a fox eyeing it up as we speak, especially if it's nice and plump. Muhahaha.