Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dilemna

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Pub or office.

Roughly a week from now I will get off a whirly bird on my return from the middle of no where and have to make a choice.

Do I:

A) go to the pub with people I've spent the last 2 weeks living / working with and done so on and off for the last year

Or

B) go into the office and say good bye to the people I've worked on and off with there for the last year

Am moving to start a new role in a new place next week.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can you be sneaky and do both?
    Pub - always pub!

Invite your coworkers to the pub with you :)
    Pub
    This is 09:30 in the morning, so the office people will be in the office.

If I go to the office after the pub then there needs to be no indication that I've been in the pub.
    Office then pub, surely, at that hour?
    It's the equivalent of an after work drink type thing - just we finish work at 09:30.
    Is there really no way to do both? What are the obstructions to doing both?
    Both. Or pub, inviting office people
    The obstruction to doing both is the timing.

We get back to what passes as civilisation at about 09:30 on Monday morning. The options at that point are to go into the office, or go to the pub.

If I go to the office first, then by the time I get there, go round and leave again, the pub trip will have finished as people head off for their onward travel.

If I go to the pub, I'm then unlikely to be sober, which isn't really considered an acceptable state in which to turn up at the office in at 11:30 (or ever).

Can't invite office people to the pub because it's at a time they should be in the office.
    How unsober will you be?
    Today I'm in an annoying mood. So can I just point you that, like I have always done until recently, you misspelled dilemma,

Sorry and all that.

As I'm here can I just say that I hope you went to the pub. If not, go tonight instead.
    Mist wrote: »
    Both. Or pub, inviting office people

this.
    Cheers slarti. I always thought it was mna on the end. Learn something every day.

I'm working til Monday so a while to make the decision yet.

Fiend - given the people, probably un sober enough to not get away with it, but am considering that option.
    Seems like the best one. Maybe you could pre-warn them that you might be a little unsober?
    Although this might sound a little superficial, on average out of the two groups of people, who are you most likely to keep in touch will or maybe see again in the future? Depending on what is possible, I would try seeing the people that I might not see again, knowing that I'm more likely to stay in touch with those that I didn't organise to see. If any of that makes sense.
    Yeah - I think that was what was starting to trickle through my mind.

I'm moving up to a different site, but will likely be passing through the office again in the future as it's one of the main UK offices for the company I work for. The people I'm with at the moment I'll never see passing through, so is more of a final farewell for life type thing.

Going to the office after more than 1 or maybe 2 drinks is out, while my team wouldn't be bothered the chances of reception picking up on it when I sign in are pretty high.
    Cheers slarti. I always thought it was mna on the end. Learn something every day.

Do did I. Even argued with someone. Then we got the dictionary. Ah!