Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Budget Weekend Abroad - Suggestions Please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I loved Berlin, got bored of Barcelona...

I loved the history of Berlin, its radical underground, amazing food, cheap museums, the way in which the architecture was so different in the East and the West...

Barcelona had lovely architecture, but it came across to me like it's more of a place to sit in the sun and chill. Also, museums were expensive and mostly art museums, rather than history (I know the both cross over...).

Basically, I like history (especially 20th century, radical workers type stuff), rock and trance music, crackin' veggie food and places which are safe for a young queer woman to travel alone.

I don't want to be somewhere full of loud people on stag nights and I'm not really in to drug culture, sunbathing or buying loads of cheap stuff...

I'd like a long weekend break in the winter/early spring, alone, staying in a cozy hostel. To spend my days on my feet, taking pictures, chatting to locals, practicing a little of the language and absorbing some of the history... Maybe even some local music if possible.

I don't have a huge budget, I'm lookin' for something cheap, but chilled... Any idea?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hamburg, especially if you're pescatarian.
  • Options
    I remember Ljubljana (Slovenia) being a nice place to explore for a few days (is the capital city but not very large), maybe combine it with a trip to Lake Bled which was stunning. We hired a boat for a few hours :)

Budapest is also a nice city to wander round for a few days- lovely market (there was one opposite our hostel you could walk to for breakfast - you would buy bread from one vendor, cheese from another and make a sandwich and fruit from a third. Was good!)and lots of swimming baths to chill in. Probably more to do here than Ljubljana but depends what you want!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Prague? It's not as cheap as it once was, and you may bump into the odd stag - but they are easily avoidable, there's lots of history and beautiful architecture and local music a plenty!
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Prague? It's not as cheap as it once was, and you may bump into the odd stag - but they are easily avoidable, there's lots of history and beautiful architecture and local music a plenty!

I was going to suggest Prague, or somewhere less 'obvious' like Cesky Krumlov.