Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried about my friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recently in the past few months I've found out that my friend has started smoking weed. I don't think she realises what she's actually doing, as when she does smoke it she'll have an entire night of just smoking it, or will drink heavily, or generally gets herself into other trouble. On top of that she gives it to other people and readily proclaims to others that she does so, and has even put a pic on fb of her 'stash'. I don't know where she gets it from, and I've never had any myself, but it just sounds a bit dodgy, or am I being a bit paranoid?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could have a word with them and just say "I think you should keep it a bit more private" because remember facebook own your photo's once you put them on there, and it *could* lead to police prosecution or something like that... although it probably wont.

I don't know how old your friend is, but honestly I know people of all ages who smoke weed, and in very large amounts I suppose it could be dangerous, and it's more risky for under 18's because there brain is still developing... but I have to say, I've smoked weed for years, and from a personal point of view I don't have a problem with it. As long as the person smoking weed know's the risks etc, it's their decision.

Have a read through this http://thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/drugsatoz/cannabis and maybe just have a casual chat with your friend to make sure they know the risks, but don't go in all guns blazing "STOP SMOKING WEED IT'S DANGEROUS" just be calm, and ask something like "Hey I've seen your smoking weed? What's it like? I've heard it can be dangerous because...?" :thumb:
    Deffinately what B-A said :yes:

I've had lots of experience with smoking weed myself and on the most part it doesn't actually damage you. It's actually better for you than smoking cigarettes! (that is if you don't put tobacco in it) I wouldn't worry about the health side of things, She will be fine. Always worth having a conversation with her about why shes using drugs but as B-A said, don't go shouting at her - it'll do no good. Just have a general chat through about it.
    One thing I've noted in situations like this in the past, people either think they are invincible or always believe that they think it won't happen to them. Ultimately your friend could be starting down a slippery slope and as harsh as it sounds it wont be your fault if it does. Be a good friend, but don't blame yourself if their life goes down the pan, or they get arrested etc.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    You could have a word with them and just say "I think you should keep it a bit more private" because remember facebook own your photo's once you put them on there, and it *could* lead to police prosecution or something like that...

Yep, I'd say that's worth mentioning :yes:

In terms of cannabis use and impact, this comes from TheSite's colleagues at addaction:
    At the moment it is very difficult to establish what impact regular cannabis use has on a person's physical health and mental health.

Opinions range from "no impact" at all to "serious" mental health problems.

More and deeper scientific research needs to be done in order to answer this question.

However, what we see in drug services indicates that long term frequent use of cannabis can have an impact on physical and mental health.

People report problems with sleeping and concentration. People also report feelings of anxiety and paranoia.

Just thought this was worth sharing with anyone interested in cannabis.

Agree with MeganM and B-A about conversation regarding the 'why' if you think you can find an opportunity to?
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Recently in the past few months I've found out that my friend has started smoking weed. I don't think she realises what she's actually doing, as when she does smoke it she'll have an entire night of just smoking it, or will drink heavily, or generally gets herself into other trouble. On top of that she gives it to other people and readily proclaims to others that she does so, and has even put a pic on fb of her 'stash'. I don't know where she gets it from, and I've never had any myself, but it just sounds a bit dodgy, or am I being a bit paranoid?

Broken-Angel has sound advice.
    I know how you feel. I'm worried about my brother. It started as weed, but now he's on 'meow meow.' (I think that's the street term, I tend to forget their proper names.)
    I'd be worried too, but like Broken-Angel said, at the end of the day it's their decision.

You sound like a great friend. xx