Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Windows 8

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anything goes right? :L

I just got Windows 8 today, on a new quadcore laptop. It's pretty nice, i was dreading the thought of it and the Metro UI and other aspects of it. And because i really like Windows 7, probably their best OS.

But Windows 8 atm, as completely blown my mind. Specially the side by side music and windows screen.

What are your opinions on the new OS, as well I'm pretty sure most computers are going to have it?

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Is it true that it won't allow you to install anything that's not on the "app store" or whatever they call it?

In any case, I'm glad I got a computer with 7, but even more so if the above is true.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it true that it won't allow you to install anything that's not on the "app store" or whatever they call it?

In any case, I'm glad I got a computer with 7, but even more so if the above is true.

No it's not true at all Windows 8 is still a completely open platform. Not going to lie i pirate everything (How'd you think i got windows 8 lol - don't need advice saying it's bad i know the time, for doing my crime).

Windows 8 is basically Windows 7, just revamped with new themes colours and tweaks. It's much much quicker (in my opinion) although startup time has something to be desired.

The upgrade to Windows 8 is PAINLESS. Which surprised me, I've been working with computers for a long time. Even have my own shop, and the biggest flaw that annoyed me about windows is that the "UPGRADE" function, when you install it never works. So you have to do a clean install, but with Windows 8 it upgraded it from Windows 7. Moved all my data, programs etc so they all worked on Windows 8 and it only took 25 minutes.
    All of this surprised me.

The Metro UI (Which eveyone seems to dislike) and before i used it, i hated it. Remember your normal desktop is one click away.
    im sticking with windows 7, no need or desire to change.
    I guess I've been lucky with my upgrades in the past, although I have heard horror stories about other people's experiences, I've never had an issue.