Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cheap things to do around plymouth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Going to Plymouth for a weekend very soon to see a friend. Just wondered if anyone .e.g yellowseahorse ;) had any tips/reccomendations of places to go that are relatively inexpensive and perhaps inside if the weather is anything like today...

Would looove to show my boyfriend Mount Edgecombe but I'm guessing the weather may be poop. So far we're going to the soup kitchen place in the royal yard :heart: and possibly the aquarium..

edit: oh and we have access to a moving vehicle so it doesn't have to be definitely in plymouth but just not miles and miles away..

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plymouth is a shithole. you shouldn't come. aquarium is a definite plus tho, i went there every year for a school trip for 8 yrs, but it's still good. walking on the moors is always fun, especially in the rain. this was one of my main occupations as an angsty teenager. there are lots of pubs and teashops about for afterwards too. i like the arts centre a lot, it's got a little gallery and cinema and really good cafe. i can't think of much else, it's not a very lively place.
    however there is a restaurant called veggie perrins that is amazing. a curry there is an activity in itself.
    What Grace!?! So many people seem to really hate Plymouth but I loved living there....

The aquarium is fab! And I think you can use tesco clubcard vouchers if you're into shopping at tesco ;)

A stroll around the barbican would be nice, some of the restaurants along the front are a bit expensive, but go there for a drink and even if it's bad weather they have umbrellas with heaters.

Agree with Grace about the moors... The Dartmoor prison museum is a "lol" experience. It has loads of statues painted by the prisoners outside which are really freaky.

Erm... other places I've been to (and enjoyed..) are the Buckfastleigh Butterfly and Otter Sanctuary, or something like that. And also Pennywell Farm (OK it's aimed at kids but you get to cuddle piggies (if they still have them) and feed sheep etc.) Haaaaaa if you don't like animals those suggestions kind of suck.

Other places to eat (if needed!)
    *Goodbodies - this place is AMAZING. It's in Mutley, so only a short walk from city centre. It's a 24hour diner that does massive portions, and has about 20 varieties of the full english breakfast. My boyfriend loves it.
    *Roundabout - up near the uni, at some point did 2 meals for £6. Think the selection went down last year and was £6.50, so not sure what it's like now.
    *B-bar - a Thai place on the barbican. (Again cheap!)
    Thanks guys :)

Yeah we went to a cute teashop on the Barbican last time, they do the best scones that are still warm :heart:Have to go back there!!

I will mention the arts centre- is it free? I'm such a tight wad.

Dartmoor Prison sounds like it could be rather fun :D

I've been to Roundabout!! But only in the evening, didnt realise the food was good too
    Thanks guys :)

Yeah we went to a cute teashop on the Barbican last time, they do the best scones that are still warm :heart:Have to go back there!!

I will mention the arts centre- is it free? I'm such a tight wad.

Dartmoor Prison sounds like it could be rather fun :D

I've been to Roundabout!! But only in the evening, didnt realise the food was good too

The gallery's free, and the cinema is quite cheap http://www.plymouthartscentre.org/

Also I agree with yellowseahorse about Pennywell Farm, it's great.
    Thanks for link, theyre showing a film I fancy seeing that weekend :)

I'm gonna pass it on and bully them into going there
    Only just seen this! I only moved to plymouth 2 weeks ago so haven't done much yet but the food in roundabout is good. I dunno what the museum is like but that's free, the uni also has a free art gallery.
    We ended up staying by the hoe and barbican. Went to an amazing cream tea place by the barbican. Think it begins with t... But had a great time :) And the rain didnt start until we left yesterday. Bwaha. Love Plymouth
    I'll look out for it. The Bean is a nice little coffee shop I discovered today next to Cuba/the museum. Free donut with a hot drink for next time :P I might have even seen you wandering around yesterday, I was in drake circus.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'll look out for it. The Bean is a nice little coffee shop I discovered today next to Cuba/the museum. Free donut with a hot drink for next time :P I might have even seen you wandering around yesterday, I was in drake circus.

Ah we left really early yesterday morning but we were out about by the war memorial on Saturday. We went to the glass blowing restaurant which is pretty cool. You're so lucky to live in plymouth!
    Ah we left really early yesterday morning but we were out about by the war memorial on Saturday. We went to the glass blowing restaurant which is pretty cool. You're so lucky to live in plymouth!
    I am liking it down here but I've hardly been anywhere yet! I need to get discovering
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I am liking it down here but I've hardly been anywhere yet! I need to get discovering

definitely mount edgecombe when it's sunny. it's so pretty