Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Housemate f'ed me over

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My housemate is going through what seems like a breakdown, and has suddenly decided to move out. I have tried to talk to her about this but she will not communicate with me. She knows that she still has to pay two more months rent till the end of the tenancy agreement, and she was planning to do so but she has just given the landlord notice to leave at the beginning of December. I have just had my landlord telling me that she has broken the agreement by just suddenly leaving anyway, and because I have had people staying at the flat with me to support me as I'm going through a very difficult period, he wants to talk to me about what is going on. No one else has moved in and no one else can move in as I am not comfortable with just having anyone living in the flat with me. I am planning to move out at the beginning of December anyway because the flat I am currently living in is on the third floor and I'm having to walk around using a stick all of the time.

What do I do? There are lots of bills which are still to be paid by her
which are in joint names, and I don't know what to say to my landlord. She works in the rest of the building that this flat is in and sees all my comings and goings and anyone who comes in or out of the flat. I'm really freaked out about all of this it's making me very stressed out and because my illness is made worse by stress I've been really quite unwell since it's all kicked off. I don't really know what to do.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lets split it up into a few different bits:

- Work out who is and who isn't staying in the flat, if it's just you then tell the landlord it IS just you, and though you may have visitors overnight, they are still just visitors and live elsewhere. The landlord will need to know this because obviously, if someone else is living there, it may breach the terms of the rental contract (and landlord may want more money / other people not to live there as they arent on the contract).
    - Since your tenancy expires in December, and your housemate has agreed to leave in December, surely your housemate is accepting to pay the rest of her rent up until the end of the tenancy agreement? I would clarify this with the housemate, and if she contests it, look at your contract. Some contracts have everyone listed together, which means if one person doesn't pay, everyone is liable for the missing amount - whereas some have a split so you are only liable for your own rent. Obviously the consequences of unpaid rent can be eviction in a worst case scenario so its important to clarify this with your housemate and let your landlord know.
    - For bills, since it's in joint name it falls under the above situation - you are both liable for any missing amount, even if you have paid 'your half'. Whilst it's crappy, again you need to chase your housemate and tell her she needs to help you pay these bills. Legally you could take her to small claims if she refuses to pay, but I'm guessing if she's going through her own breakdown, even if there was a judgment against her she may have no means to pay. What you could do is call the companies who you owe this money to and explain that one of the people has gone AWOL / off the rails a bit, and if you could renegotiate payment or whatever - at least this gives you breathing room to chase up said housemate.

Finally, as for landlord seeing you and seeing other people come in and out, don't let it get you down too much. You are entitled to a private life, and whilst your landlord is entitled to know who is living there, they don't really have any right to know which visitors you have, so just be calm and explain the situation. I'm sure your landlord will understand.

Best of luck!
    Hey there Miss_Riot,

Sorry you're going through a stressful time at the moment which is making you feel worse - *hug*

I think ShyBoy's post is spot on. It can be overwhelming when you're faced with a problem, but it's good to talk about it (for example by posting on here) to break the problem down into manageable chunks.

I would add to ShyBoy's post and say that put any correspondence to your landlord and your housemate in writing and keep a copy. This way you have a record of what was said. If you do have an oral conversation with them, then it's a good idea to write to them straight after confirming what was discussed.

Let us know how you get on once you've spoken to your landlord and housemate.

:)
    My housemate sent me a text a few of days ago, apologising for how shes been recently - she said shes had a mental breakdown and has gone to live with her grandparents for a while to recover. Since she sent that text she went missing for 48 hrs, I'm hoping she will get the help that she really needs.

My landlord has asked for a letter about whats going on which I'm going to write today (might post it to see if theres anything much else I need to add). I'm a bit scared about what his reply will be but we'll see.... :/
    Hey again,

I hope your housemate gets the support she needs too. It seems like she's going through a tough time, which is not good, and leaves you in a difficult situation.

Just wondering if you'd written the letter to your landlord yet? Received a response? Hopefully your landlord will be understanding once you've told him everything that has been going on.

Let us know how you get on. :)
    I did write to my landlord, and I didn't get the best response. I was told that in order for them to continue my tenancy after December they would have to start an entirely new contract. I effectively given in my notice, so I'll be having to look somewhere to move to in early December. This wasn't really what I wanted, I was hoping I would be able to stay here until I found something that suited me. But I have got my amazing boyfriend here, who has been incredibly supportive of me during this really difficult period, so fingers crossed I'll be able to sort it all out.

I have discovered that I am about £500 in debt because of my housemate not paying her share of the bills. My mum has been speaking to her mum because they know each other quite well, about all of the money issues and hopefully it will get sorted out. As for whether my ex housemate is getting any help, I really don't know. She's cut all contact with everyone around here and the last I heard she'd gone missing for 48 hrs. i can't cope with any more stress, its making me really ill so I'm just letting her get on with it. :( its sad but I really don't know what else I can do.
    Just an update, she's paid her share of the rent, but I haven't been able to get hold of her mum to talk about all the other stuff she owes me.

I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to write it off :/ I really can't afford to but I don't know if I'm going to have any choice.
    Hey Miss Riot,

Sorry you didn't get the response you wanted from your landlord. Would you be able to sign a new tenancy with your landlord to enable you to stay there?

I'm really glad you have the support from your boyfriend; as you say it's a difficult period, but you will be able to get through it with support.

It's good that your housemate has paid her rent, but obviously you are stressed as she has not paid her share of the bills. Is there anyway your mum can speak to her mum again about this? I know you say you can't get hold of her, but maybe you can drop her an email or a letter and try to arrange to speak to her face to face? It seems like your housemate is having a difficult time, but hopefully her mum will understand the difficulties this is putting you in financially.

I hope things get better soon.

:)
    In short - no. I'd have to pay another lot of referencing fees and I'm living on the third floor with no lift which is no good for me with a stick. I need to be living on the ground floor.

I have spoken to her mum and she is disgusted with her behaviour. No one actually knows where she is she's not talking to any of her relatives. I got a court summons because we're jointly liable for council tax and she hasn't paid any since we moved in (even though my share has been paid by council tax benefit they'll take it out of my benefit if she doesn't pay up). I really need the money right now because my health is really on the slide.