Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

More sleeping problems...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know it seems silly, people tell me it is, but i feel safer sleeping in the day than i do at night. I have no idea why and it really annoys me, but my head just doesnt feel safe at night , its like i picture these things crawling out from under my bed and my brain just wont shut down. Its kind of annoying/worrying me and i dont know what im supposed to do as my mum said it was silly and that i needed to get out of the habit but its not a habit and i dont know how to get rid of it :/
:wave:
Bye :)

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps at night you could try sleeping with a little night light on, so you can sleep at night and still feel safe, I know I had night light until the age of about 12.
  • Options
    Hi LouiseL923 :wave:

When you say your head doesn't feel safe at night and you like picture things crawling out of your bed. do you suffer with bad dreams?

Do you find you think more when it is night time instead of the daytime? Our brains can work like that and not switch off when we go to sleep. Do you suffer with any anxiety/stress?

It maybe helpful to see your local G.P as they may able to help you. http://thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/wellbeing/sleeping/insomnia This is a link from the website they maybe useful to you.

Keep us posted of how you are getting on :thumb:

purple_rain *hug*
  • Options
    Would you describe it mainly as a difficulty falling to sleep, or mainly as a difficulty staying asleep?
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    LouiseL923 wrote: »
    I know it seems silly, people tell me it is, but i feel safer sleeping in the day than i do at night. I have no idea why and it really annoys me, but my head just doesnt feel safe at night , its like i picture these things crawling out from under my bed and my brain just wont shut down. Its kind of annoying/worrying me and i dont know what im supposed to do as my mum said it was silly and that i needed to get out of the habit but its not a habit and i dont know how to get rid of it :/
    :wave:
    Bye :)

What's your routine before bed like?
    I sometimes have trouble sleeping after watching a scary or disturbing scene on TV. Like if there is a monster on a film and it really freaked me out- when I go to bed I feel like there's someone watching me in the dark, or sometimes I even check by putting the light on. I've even dreamed about zombies trying to break in through the downstairs window before. So I end up with broken sleep or not falling asleep. It's something that has happened since I was a kid, and still does at 25.
    When I was a kid I use to tell myself it wasn't real, put the cover over my head and imagine a ballerina in a tutu dancing. And eventually I would feel safe enough to go back to sleep.
    These days if it happens, I try avoiding anything on TV like that before bed. If I do watch something that gets to me, I try to replace it with something else, (like the ballerina), I watch a comedy or happy movie straight after it. Other times I play music in my room, something upbeat to drown out my craziness.

WOW. I am really bonkers. I knew that before, but since being on this site and writing it all down, I can see for the first time just how many problems I have. Its a wonder I'm not locked up. :crazyeyes
    Any who, hope this helps. xx :)
  • Options
    Perhaps at night you could try sleeping with a little night light on, so you can sleep at night and still feel safe, I know I had night light until the age of about 12.

I actually had a night light until i was 11 or 12 aswell because i suffered with nightmares but i just got so used to them that they just kind of went away :)
  • Options
    Hi LouiseL923 :wave:

When you say your head doesn't feel safe at night and you like picture things crawling out of your bed. do you suffer with bad dreams?

Do you find you think more when it is night time instead of the daytime? Our brains can work like that and not switch off when we go to sleep. Do you suffer with any anxiety/stress?

It maybe helpful to see your local G.P as they may able to help you. http://thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/wellbeing/sleeping/insomnia This is a link from the website they maybe useful to you.

Keep us posted of how you are getting on :thumb:

purple_rain *hug*

I usually find i think more at night but when i do finally get to sleep i wake up feeling like i havent slept at all, i used to suffer with bad dreams but i dont really anymore :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Would you describe it mainly as a difficulty falling to sleep, or mainly as a difficulty staying asleep?

Sometimes its only trying to get to sleep but ive had a few nights where i just kept on waking up every few hours for no reason :)
  • Options
    Hey Louise,

For me, you have to overcome sleeping problems by diverting your attention into positive things. Try to watch a comedy series or movies before going to bed. You can try to read a good book so you'll have a good imagination or fantasy before going to sleep. Or try to be productive as possible at day time so when night comes that you have to rest, you'll be so exhausted to ever think of a monster crawling or peeking inside your bedroom. If all our suggestions can't help you. Try consulting a psychologist, maybe you have an underlying stress-related condition that triggers the problem. ^^

http://http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_disorders.htm
  • Options
    Have you been watching too many horror movies? It happened to me when i saw many zombie stuff back to back. Well i was too scared at first but then I made myself to realize that zombies don't exist. So stop thinking there's something under your bed. Nothing can harm you except for your own mental state. I agree with the above, you need to watch comedy stuff
  • Options
    I find Kalms or another one called Quiet life (which I actually prefer) and a little Hops and lavender pillow by my head really helps. I often get things like that when I'm over tired, so if you go to bed and maybe read something not too exciting a bit before you feel really tired that might help. Theres also a hyponosis tape by Andrew Johnson called deep sleep which is very helpful!