Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nurses and medical records

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think nurses are able to look up your records, someone I know who I haven't always got along with, infact one time she was a real bully to me has been training as a nurse .Do you think she could see my records I hate the idea of that.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She could, but she'd probably need a damn good reason for requesting them as they're not centralised yet as far as I know. Plus, if she does, she's liable for dishonourable conduct type proceedings.
    Louisek wrote: »
    Do you think nurses are able to look up your records, someone I know who I haven't always got along with, infact one time she was a real bully to me has been training as a nurse .Do you think she could see my records I hate the idea of that.

So she's not a nurse yet?

Depends on which records you are talking about really. There still isn't a central system that holds all information about you, each hospital/GP/Mental Health Trust has their own set of records. Consequently it's very hard to get a full overview. Given your circumstances I presume that you have been to a number of different hospitals. This will help.

However, given that she's in training her access is restricted. Even when qualified it's not easy for nurses to get notes especially if it's not related to her specialty area. Finally, any system tracks who has requested records. If you access a set which you have no right to then it's sackable offence, for a nurse can also mean being struck off.

Does that help?
    Interesting... if they store information about who has seen notes then under the principles of the Data Protection Act you should be able to request a list of people who have done so. Whether you can or not is a different matter
    Thanks for that guys i feel reassured about it now, just a bit paranoid i suppose.
    Louisek wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys i feel reassured about it now, just a bit paranoid i suppose.

Understandable, but it's as illegal for an nurse or doctor to randomly look at your records out of spite as it would be for me to!