Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"The 96"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Finally the "truth" comes out.

Clicky

Personally I disagree with Cameron's assertion of "new evidence" - it's always been there but clearly overlooked, ignored or deliberately changed. However, the unreserved apology is welcomed.

But does anyone think that we will really ever see any "justice" in this case?

Apparently there's possibly over 160 cases of "attempting to pervert the course" just in relation to changing statements, let alone the senior management of the Police Force agreeing and perpetrating a smear campaign...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There should be prosecutions if what is alleged is true and statements were deliberately altered.

However, I think there was some 'new evidence' (at least to me who has followed it, but not in depth) about how the disaster was handled and the failure to declare it a major incidence and the failures of the ambulance service (some of the reports seem to suggest senior ambulance officials were also involved in the cover up). Also that the civil service at the time thought the police weren't telling the whole truth, but there was a lack of political and official will to push.
    The reason I say that it's not "new" evidence is because all of those statements etc were already there. It's not like 160 people have subsequently come forward and said - "I lied" - it's not as if minutes of Police Federation minutes, or comments from Thatcher's secretary have only just been made. It was all there, just never looked for.

They thought that the families would go away, that eventually they would go quiet.

What is meant is that hidden evidence is finally being published. I don't believe it is everything either, I have serious questions about why the Coroner decided on 3:15 when pathology reports clearly question this assertion - what pressure was on him?

We will never know the full story, I accept that but I still don't believe that anyone will be convicted of a crime for any of this. Maybe I'm just cynical.
    I think we already know the full story- South Yorkshire Police fucked up because they were Scouser football fans and don't count. And then they lied about it to protect themselves.

What we're really waiting for is South Yorkshire Police to admit their lies and for the lying policemen to face justice. That'll never happen. We all know it won't.
    For 23 years over 100 coppers have *known* that they lied in the statements. How many whistleblowers have there been?

Erm, none.
    I'd be interested to know how many cops have actually be convicted of committing a crime while on the job. Not just in this case, just in general, in the last 20 years or so. When the police can clearly commit manslaughter on camera and get away with it, it doesn't suggest that it's particularly likely that these small technicalities like lying on police reports are going to result in convictions.
    I'm interested in the fact that a senior policeman is more concerned by an MP who lost his temper, than trying to sort out the fall out from the Hillsborough enquiry.
    That's the kicker, isn't it? Some sketch writer (like Steve Bell, I mean, not someone who writes gags for The Now Show) should (perhaps did?) draw the police boss (John Tully?) saying that stuff about questioning a police officer's integrity against the backdrop of Hillsborough news reports. I would say you couldn't make it up, but they evidently have plenty of practise, and while keeping a straight face, too.