Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

help with part time job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Really annoyed not found a job for over a year- i only wanted a part time retail job but since ive only had greggs for about 8 months ,it doesnt constitute to retail all of the time and think people dont hire me maybe through lack of experience or too many people applying for jobs

places i cant get in: holland and barett, new look require experience, m & s , tried h & m yesterday, next, gave cv into cex a few times and loads of places.. need to find some willing to train, going back to uni for a year but would like a part time job, i applied to be a elf for Christmas so waiting to hear back from that

any advice for where to apply?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Charity shops might be able to give you experience in the retail department but it would most likely be voluntary but it would give you the experience you need to get a paid job in retail. You could try debenhams or tk max .
    I did volunteering in Oxfam for 6 months, and (although I'm not old enough to get a proper job yet) I have no doubt it'll help me. They teach you how to use the till etc. which would be really useful experience when applying for a job in retail, and it also show's commitment.
    Charity shops always need volunteers, and they can normally make the hours fit around you :)
    Temping agencies/bar work are all things I did when I first started out at work. Bar work especially is shit imho, but you will get lots of experience.
    hi it's very hard sometimes to find a job :(. i was working in a restaurant but didn't like the job so i left... now it's over a year and i still don't have a job. i would like to work with animals but where i aplied they didn't reply back and i don't think that i will get the job and i'm still waiting to hear from another jobs too :(.
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear you're finding the job hunt difficult; it happens to us all at some point in our lives.

You seem to have bags of experience already; 6 months at Oxfam and 8 months at Greggs. Have you had any other jobs? I'm sure you have gained lots of transferable skills already. Maybe you could try making a list of all the things you've done in these jobs and what skills you've gained or strengthened. This seems like a basic task; but when I personally started this myself, I found my list was much longer than I thought as I was able to recall much more when writing it all down.

As for where you can apply, I think torturedsoul's suggestion about volunteering to gain skills is a great one. Check out do-it.org for opportunities. Although this is not paid and so may not always be ideal.

We have an article on theSite about where to find jobs. It's got some links to some websites and lots of other tips.

Just for your information, on theSite.org we some useful articles. There's a section about job applications , which includes an article about boosting your student cv. . It might give you some more ideas about other activities you do that you can put on your CV.

Hope this helps :)