Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

warning from neighbour or subtle threat?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone.

I've gotten pretty comfy smoking joints in my back garden, I've been spotted by my neighbours on both sides but didn't take any notice. I was walking to the shops this morning and the guy who lives on my right said "We can smell really strong cannabis quite frequently, we don't mind but watch out for the rest of the houses around here because someone could complain."

I'm just not sure if he was giving me a heads up or it was just his way of telling me to stop.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My personal thought would have been a way of getting you to stop doing it so much. It can make some people feel uncomfortable. Plus, there was a house up from me who seemed to be smoking a lot, I didn't care, but the police did make a call.
    It sounds like a polite warning.

"you're smoking cannabis, we don't like it. We could call the police on you, but we'd rather you showed a little consideration and stopped/cut down on it."
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad its not just me who thinks it was a veiled warning. The neighbour did seem a bit too understanding. He was saying "Oh I was in the army, I've seen heroin and cannabis plants so it doesn't bother me." If he brought it up then its not the case.

Whowhere: If you don't mind me asking, if the police did pay me a vist, what do you think would happen?
    I would take it as a friendly tip off and find somewhere else to smoke where your not going to piss of your neighbours. He's possibly had run ins with some of the neighbours in the past or seen it happen to others. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a spliff now and again, but I think you should respect those who don't. I doubt the Police will do much if they do call round, probably a slap on the wrists and confiscate the weed. Unless you keep a lot of weed lying around the house and they suspect you of supplying.
    It's a polite hint to be a bit more discreet with your smoking. He probably doesn't care if you smoke it so long as it isn't interfering with him. If he can smell it- and pot fucking stinks- then you're interfering with him.
    akuma wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad its not just me who thinks it was a veiled warning. The neighbour did seem a bit too understanding. He was saying "Oh I was in the army, I've seen heroin and cannabis plants so it doesn't bother me." If he brought it up then its not the case.

Whowhere: If you don't mind me asking, if the police did pay me a vist, what do you think would happen?

Depends on the cop, they'd either warn you, or search your house and nick you.
    Whilst I do smoke weed, I only do so in people's houses (if they're doing it too obvs.) I never smoke it outside etc. you have to remember it's illegal, and some people will have a problem with it.
    If you really want to smoke outside, maybe started putting mainly tobacco in your joints, and smoking two instead of one or something? Or, get a weed vaporizer https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weed+vvaparizors&sugexp=chrome,mod=15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=weed+vaporizers&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=q75QUNn0CYK3hAfV94CICA&ved=0CEEQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=6e6c3cbc1f1770d5&biw=1024&bih=499 so you can take weed inside without their being smoke if you're worried about that :)
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Depends on the cop, they'd either warn you, or search your house and nick you.
    Yikes, thats the last thing I need.

I'm just going to be more careful of the where and when if I light up.

Thanks again for the advice everybody.
    Easy advice i can always give you.... roll all your weed up into spliffs. And put them somewhere safe... Like in a frosties cereal box, police never look in cereal packets (i'm paranoid).

Then take 1 or 2 joints, and go for a walk. I don't know where you live, or if it's rough.
    But just have a smoke and walk, somewhere quiet, parks what not.
    By the time people have smelt the weed, you'll be gone and there's no proof it's you.
    Shikari wrote: »
    police never look in cereal packets (i'm paranoid)..

You keep telling yourself that.....:thumb:
    WhoWhere is going to go round checking cereal packets now I'm sure :razz:
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You keep telling yourself that.....:thumb:
    It's worked for me so far :L
    ...You're not a police officer are you?

Stay away from my crunchy nut crack.

Heh heh :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The old bill aren't going to treat your house apart because a neighbors reported seeing you smoke a joint.

Just show a bit more discretion towards you neighbour.
    Weekender Offender 

pcso, but we go on drug warrants as well. Last one I went on I was checking cereal boxes.....

But as Skive said, we don't tear someone's house apart after a complaint about the smell, not unless it becomes a regular occurrence. You're more likely to have someone having a quiet word with you about an "alledged smell coming from your property".
    If they search the medicine cabinet, do they check what all the pills are in there? I just wondered cos mine's a bit dodgy. But like how would they know what's illegal and what's not? Unless they tested it.
    I can see this being a drugs amnesty soon.
    And i honestly didn't think police would check cereal :') As a pcso, any top tips where police can't look for drugs?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The police are not going to search your house unless they think you're growing, making or dealing drugs.
    Even if you're out on the street and get caught with drugs in your possession you'd be very unlucky to have them come and search your house. Most searches come as the result of information being passed to the police about dealers.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    The police are not going to search your house unless they think you're growing, making or dealing drugs.
    Even if you're out on the street and get caught with drugs in your possession you'd be very unlucky to have them come and search your house. Most searches come as the result of information being passed to the police about dealers.

This.
    Without meaning to sound rude, I'm surprised you're even having to ask this question. Neigbours on both sides have clearly noticed and are agitated by it - either inconvenience no-one but yourself by smoking inside your own home and dealing with all the consequences that may come with it, eg. the smell, sacrifice of deposit etc, or take it somewhere far away and much more discreet. Anything else is just plain rude and you'd deserve whatever came your way
    If I was a police officer, I'd search a cereal packet, pockets of clothes folded in drawers, piggy banks, bread bins, bins, freezer, and everywhere else.

I've done searches before, but more so to assure that somebody isn't hiding anything dodgy or harmful, rather than in anything evidence based police work etc.