Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Updating DLA forms?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When my claim for DLA (disability living allowance) has been up for renewal (about every 3 years) I normally get a form to notify them of any changes to my condition. I filled it out as usual last time, but that was nearly 2 years ago and I've got a hell of a lot worse and need a lot more care than I used to, and I walk with a stick all most all the time outside (unless its uneven ground and I've got an arm of a far more stable person to hold on to). I got my mum to call them up to see if how I needed to inform them and such and I've been told to fill in an entirely new claim form.

Is this right? I thought I just needed to tell them about any new meds/treatment/diagnosis and how it effects me, rather than fill it all out again... :/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When my friend updated hers she just had to do a short update form but this was a while back so it might have changed since then. At least if you get a whole form to do there is plenty of space to say how bad things have become.
    I guess so but at the same time a short form I can do with my mum a longer form I need to find someone who knows all the ins and outs of it again. I'm exhausted just thinking about having to do it all over again!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I guess so but at the same time a short form I can do with my mum a longer form I need to find someone who knows all the ins and outs of it again. I'm exhausted just thinking about having to do it all over again!

Have you got a photocopy of your previous form? I had someone do my first form with me then subsequent forms based it heavily on that and did it myself with a little help from my friends and updated various things.
    possibly...i got rid of a lot of old paperwork recently :/

i might see if I can get someone who knows a bit about fibro to help me - i.e. the person who runs my local support group.
    Call up the CMHT and ask for an appointment with a benefits adviser.
    i would find someone to help you fill it in.. Fill it in in stages. Go through it and fill out all the basics and keep all the difficult questions for someone to help you with the wording, because an advisor or someone experienced will be able to ask you the right questions to make sure you dont leave anything out, so you get the appropriate level.

Its a complete ballache. I hate DLA forms soo much
    piccolo wrote: »
    Call up the CMHT and ask for an appointment with a benefits adviser.

They are trying to arrange it but they haven't even been able to sort out me getting a place with the recovery team. It's getting stupid!
    Hey there Miss Riot,

It must be frustrating being asked to complete the whole form again, I understand DLA forms are lengthy and complex. However to ensure you get the benefits you’re entitled to, it might be best to complete a new form.

As SuzyCreamCheese says you might like to get some help completing the form. The CAB website tells me that the benefit enquiry line has a form complete service. I’m not sure how correct this is, but might be worth a try.

The CAB themselves can also help you complete forms; search for your nearest office here - http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice

You may also like to call the Disability Law Service. They have a national advice line -http://www.dls.org.uk/About_Us/contact.html

I found this leaflet online; it’s from 2009 so may not be as effective now, but it’s worth a read as it has some good tips -http://www.dls.org.uk/advice/factsheet/welfare_benefits/filling_in_DLA_forms/Filling in DLA forms Factsheet.pdf

Also, can you ask your GP for technical details about your current health circumstances?

It might be that you need to explore one or more of these options to complete the form.

I hope this helps.

:)