Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I look into this? (leg shortening)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there

I've always been uncomfortable with my height, or more specifically my legs. At about 5'9" I'm not strictly speaking all that tall but my legs are around 36" and getting trousers is a pain. Really getting any clothes to look good on me is a pain since everything seems to have been designed for someone a bit shorter than me.
I saw online that you can get your legs shortened, where they take out sections of bone from your thighs and then let the bone heal back over the cut away section making it shorter. Since my legs are healthy other than being just too damn long for the rest of me this would probably be classed as plastic surgery so would be expensive and I'm not sure that my family would agree to it so I was wondering if there's a way to go about it where I could get some kind of loan or grant and if this is worth looking into.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Unsafetydancer:wave:,

I am sorry that you are feeling uncomfortable about your height, it can be quite distressing and affect your self esteem if you are feeling self concious about the way you look. I'm sure your more aware of it than people around you as when you are very conscious about something this is often the case, have you spoken to anyone about this ? I know you say that you are interested in a procedure that could potentially shorten your legs ?, It may be worth having a good chat to your G.P and or research this further as this does sound like quite a complicated and drastic operation.

Please let us know how your are getting on and Keep posting on The Site.

Take Care,
    B:thumb:
    Have you really looked into it in any detail. It's an incredibly painful and risky procedure with the potential for some extreme complications. Is that really worth it to make it easier to buy trousers?

I'm also 5'9" but the other way around. Find shops that sell tall ranges, and look online.
    Some shops do tall ranges and so does this website http://www.longtallsally.com/
    i have the opposite problem. every pant i wear i feel like that this was made for someone who has longer legs. i am not a short person but an average. important thing is you should talk with you family before you do or attempt to go for surgical advises
    with all due respect, i think this a really bad idea. It is not reasonable to consider having part of your whole supporting weight bearing skeleton removed just because its a pain to buy trousers off the shelf, and id be really really surprised if anyone would agree to do the surgery for you for this reason. You are a completely normal height, and 36in inner leg is a normal leg length.