Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I am paranoid and anxious..its getting worse.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a teenage girl and I have always been somewhat of a paranoid person all my life, but i feel like these past few months it has been getting worse. Lately I have been feeling paranoid about leaving my house and forgetting to turn off an appliance. About a month ago when I left for a trip I had this feeling that I left the sink on..I was seriously a nervous wreck. I had a hard time enjoying the trip and I made my mom call the water company to check that there was no water running in the house. A few nights ago, I went to the movies and felt like I left the straightener on (when i didn't even straighten my hair!) (The straightener was just laying on the counter because my sister had used it.) The whole time I was out at the movies, I questioned whether I had turned it on by accident. I HATE feeling like this. No one else in my family is paranoid and it makes me feel so stupid. I just worry too much and need help with it. Any suggestions? I am so stressed out and am wondering if I can ever fix this. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi satusername3939 :wave:

Welcome to the site. Sorry things have been tough for you of late.

I'm sure you'll find some great resources here that will be useful for you.

The feelings that you are experiencing are things that most people will have at some stage during their life.

The section on thesite, 'Anxiety and Stress Advice' might be a good place to start for some insight into whats going on.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/anxietyandstress

There is also a factsheet about getting help for anxiety that might be worthwhile taking a look at. The link for that is below too.

http://thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/anxietyandstress/anxietygettinghelp

Take a look at the above links and let us know what you think.

Stick around as im sure some of the forum members will have some good advice too!

Phil :thumb:
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    One thing I've heard of is a worry diary. Whenever you suspect something, or worry that something is happening, record it somewhere. Try your best not to change the outcome of your worry e.g don't check whether you actually turned off something etc. Then, at the end of the week look at how many of your fears didn't come true. Hopefully, you'll gain a more realistic view on things. Another thing is maybe having a checklist before you go out, so that you know you've done them without having to fret or overcheck.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well the easiest thing you can do is keep a diary with you always. maybe a notebook. and write everything init. every single thing you do when you are at home. and track them. and when you leave home. you can look at the notebook and be sure
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    I am a teenage girl and I have always been somewhat of a paranoid person all my life, but i feel like these past few months it has been getting worse. Lately I have been feeling paranoid about leaving my house and forgetting to turn off an appliance. About a month ago when I left for a trip I had this feeling that I left the sink on..I was seriously a nervous wreck. I had a hard time enjoying the trip and I made my mom call the water company to check that there was no water running in the house. A few nights ago, I went to the movies and felt like I left the straightener on (when i didn't even straighten my hair!) (The straightener was just laying on the counter because my sister had used it.) The whole time I was out at the movies, I questioned whether I had turned it on by accident. I HATE feeling like this. No one else in my family is paranoid and it makes me feel so stupid. I just worry too much and need help with it. Any suggestions? I am so stressed out and am wondering if I can ever fix this. :(

Hi satusername3939.
    There are many things you can try, some of which our fellow posters have suggested. One I found that helps was a simple breathing exercise. It helps calm you down and think more rationally. You breath through the nose and let it out slowly through the mouth, breathing out as long as you can. Repeat until calm. You can count too if that helps.
    I can say this works for me, because I used to be very paranoid of people, thinking they were saying things about me behind my back, laughing at me. I also do what you do, "did I leave the light on? is the door locked?" Usually I would think that after just a few seconds, then go check, sometimes twice before coming away. But I only started the breathing thing after a panic attack.
    I hope my thoughts have helped. xx