Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are employers legally obliged to provide holiday?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just having a conversation with a friend who works at a childrens theme park and has just told me she doesn't get any paid holidays at all. I thought that all employees had a right to so many weeks holiday? Management get them but normal workers don't. Is her employer breaking the law?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It depends on the contract really. In general they have right to paid holiday but can be complicated with casual staff on zero hours contracts.
    :yes: full time workers should legally get 5.6 weeks holiday... other wise it seems to get a bit complicated!
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642
    5.6 weeks of holiday?!?! I need to move to the UK. I've never had more than 2 - and that was after working at a place for about 4 years.
    5.6?! Interesting. I get one day short of that (I think). When did that change? I swear it was 20 days not that long ago?! :/
    5.6?! Interesting. I get one day short of that (I think). When did that change? I swear it was 20 days not that long ago?! :/

I get 20 days plus bank holidays. Not sure what that comes to.
    I get 20 days plus bank holidays. Not sure what that comes to.

5.6 weeks.

Bank Holidays specifically aren't right but the number of days is. Basically leave works on the basis of a five days week, so you get 20 days, plus 8 bank holidays or 5.6 weeks.

Because I've been working at my employer for so long (about 20 years!) I now get 33 days plus bank holiday. Too much IMHO.
    Too much IMHO.

You're on crack. Too much holiday?!?!? No such thing :P
    Soon they'll be paying you to stay at home more than they pay you to go to work!

Ah, I forgot to add in all my bank holidays... so I am over the 28. That's good!