Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Estranged dad's girlfriend wants to chat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my sister came home from our dads in London last night and asks me if i mind her giving my number to my dads girlfriend, apperantly she would like to chat maybe even meet.
Well i have not seen or spoken to my dad for around two years he made it more than clear that because of my decision to do something about my gender issues i was not to make contact with him and said as far as he is concerned i dont exist, just when i really needed him he turned his back and cut me out, in my opinion he is a vicious bullying thug however he is well off money wise and kind of has a circle of hangers on who worship him but he is a nasty piece of work and i am a little concerned what this is about.
To be honest i cant believe his girlfriend would be brave enough to go behind his back but i have never meet her so perhaps she is stronger than some.
I had a similar thing happen with my aunt his sister but they dont really see each other that much she lives in Wales and has actually become a very special friend to me one of the few people who really really accept the real me for who i am.
Anyway i guess i am curious but also nervous i dont want to miss the chance to build bridges but i just cant believe its likely that he is behind this.
Not sure why she would want to meet me, not sure what i should do.
Is there any harm in chatting on the phone do you think its just a little odd not sure if im being paranoid.

Comments

• Options
    He might not be behind it, but it's still a bridge. I say go for it, sure it might not work but you will forever wonder "what if"...
  • Options
    Would your aunt or a friend be able to go with you? After the way your dad has made you feel I don't think it's unreasonable to want a bit of moral support. I hope it goes well- whatever you decide to do
  • Options
    He might not be behind it, but it's still a bridge. I say go for it, sure it might not work but you will forever wonder "what if"...

I agree. I recently met up with a family member who I hadn't been in touch with for over a year and a half, and even though it didn't turn out like I wanted it to, I would have regretted it if I hadn't gone and found out.
    I'd say having a chat on the phone would be a good idea to start off with.
  • Options
    Hi Louisek :wave:

It must be hard for you to have this estranged relationship with your dad, and suddenly this girlfriend you don't know is interested in speaking with you.
    Perhaps this is a battle between what would be worst? To see her and potentially be upset (or having the hope of a reconciliation) or to wonder what she would have said?

What is important to remember here is that this is your decision - no one can force you. Whether you decide to speak to her/see her or not, does not mean you have to re-connect with your dad.
    Clementine_the_tangerine also made a good point; if you do decide to meet her, bringing someone with you who you trust, and is on your side, could help you feel more comfortable.

Good luck and do let us know how things develop *hug*
  • Options
    So inspired by a post in a diffrent thread i am going to go with it and see what happens, think i might ask her just to text at first.
  • Options
    Turns out that she is actually not to bad, only exchnged text messages and one very akward and painfully long call but although she is a bit blunt and not shy of asking things she seems freindly, didnt once mention my dad !!! which was a little odd. Not sure of her motives but trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.Only time will tell i guess.
  • Options
    it was brave of you to give it a go. i hope things continue to go well with her