Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Contents Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to renew my contents insurance next month, but I'm not sure how much my shit is worth, or what to bother with (accidental damage, legal).

Anyone have any hints/tips/cheats to getting some good cover for no money?

cheers gang

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Quidco!
    Are you shitting me?
    Only if you're into that sort of thing.

WRT what your stuff's worth, just be aware of the usual things that might be outside the limits of a policy (which is often about £400 for a single item). So basically your laptop, possibly a mobile phone or a bike and possibly your CDs (many insurers treat a CD collection as one item).

In terms of cost, look on Quidco to see what cashback offers are available. We got a year's contents insurance for about £40 after cashback the other year.
    I get mine from HSBC for £8 a month for £50,000 which covers everything inside the house but not stuff that can be taken out of the house - my laptop for example is not covered, but if it was a PC it would be covered.

It is a pretty good policy for the money, gives peace of mind and all that, not that I expect my house to burn down any time soon.
    I normally use Money Saving Expert for these things. They've got a good guide on insurance and how to get a bargain here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance
    I normally use Money Saving Expert for these things. They've got a good guide on insurance and how to get a bargain here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance

thanks that was a good website. I'll buy some insurance at the weekend or something.
    In case anyone gives a shit. Picked up some for £59 off Aviva.
    I've always been told that for the average couple £50,000 of contents is ample and is usually what you'd have to pay if say your house burnt down. Don't forget it covers clothing, furniture, food e.t.c.

Buildings is a little trickier. The cost to rebuild your house is usually around 50% of the value, if you're in a terrace/semi however you need more as if damage to your house caused damage to a neighbour's you'd also be liable.
    I don't own the house, so presume that my landlord has buildings for it. But having a number for what I own is really good. Thanks.