Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Full Time Work to Masters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I joined my job three years ago, the plan was to pay off my debt from my undergrad and then go back. Three years on and I'm still here, still with the same vague dream and getting increasingly p*ssed off with my job (the workload has literally doubled and people end up going off sick due to stress). If I am to be really honest, I'd love to be a lecturer, or maybe do research, or at least something where I use my brain and get to take lunch breaks. :rolleyes:

I think I am actually gonna go for a Masters in 2013... However, I guess I'm pretty settled and am a bit anxious about the following...
  1. If a career development loan and a few grand savings could fund me to do a full time Masters.
  2. How intensive the course is.
  3. If after a year out of formal work, I'll be unemployable.
  4. If it would be advisable to get a few hours work, say in a bar... To supplement my studies.
  5. The idea of debt scares the hell out of me...

I don't care about my job... To be honest, I live for the books I read, the music I listen to... For travel and education. I just feel that it's about time to move on and do what I wanna do with my life.

Thinking about studying in Manchester, or maybe Leeds by the way. Much cheaper than London and my day job is too exhausting to do much outside work (plus I never know when I'll finish, so may miss lessons).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can help with 3. If anything a year of formal further education will make you more employable, and certainly not less employable. A year off bumming around is one thing, but a year of a postgrad is a whole other.

Also, 2. course intensity is usually fairly high, but what are you doing?
    1- Depends on your fees. Do you know what this year's fees are? I paid £3500 or so for my masters, and I covered that plus living expenses out of around £10,000, a £2000 overdraft and a few hours work a week at a restaurant. And lived quite well on it.

2- Depends on your course. I tended to treat mine as a 9-5 (though usually ended up working 10-4!) and didn't have to spend many evenings working outside of that.

3- nope, makes you more employable, especially if you keep up employability skills in the mean time.

4- I welcomed the work - it was a break from study, a chance to interact outside of the student world. And it gave me extra money.

5- Is it worth it?
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    1- Depends on your fees. Do you know what this year's fees are? I paid £3500 or so for my masters, and I covered that plus living expenses out of around £10,000, a £2000 overdraft and a few hours work a week at a restaurant. And lived quite well on it.

2- Depends on your course. I tended to treat mine as a 9-5 (though usually ended up working 10-4!) and didn't have to spend many evenings working outside of that.

3- nope, makes you more employable, especially if you keep up employability skills in the mean time.

4- I welcomed the work - it was a break from study, a chance to interact outside of the student world. And it gave me extra money.

5- Is it worth it?

1. Fees for the courses I've seen tend to be just under 6k full time.

4. Exactly! Plus for me... I'm worried that the pressure of a full time Masters would affect my health.

5. To get out of a shit job, study something I care about and actually stand a chance of getting in to a sector that interests me... I guess it's a better investment than paying a huge chunk of my wages on rent and doing a job I don't enjoy for the forseeable future.