Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Enough is enough...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my first counsellor and I discussed my relationship with my mother, which I felt didn't really have any bearing on my dad's death, but was helpful all the same .

the sessions are only going to be of any use if you are comfortable during them. I would suggest you try one more session with her, trying your best to keep an open, non judgmental stance,and then reevaluate :)
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    my first counsellor and I discussed my relationship with my mother, which I felt didn't really have any bearing on my dad's death, but was helpful all the same

I get that entirely :) I had similar conversations at my last counselling and it was beneficial - she was referring to past boyfriends...that I feel is totally irrelevant and was when I started questionning her credibility in my mind...

I have slept on it and its something I've been thinking about for a while but I have now decided I'm not going back. I am still on the waiting list for Cruse and should be due to hear from them soon so I can try with them...I can't face one more session in a place where I feel trapped and insecure...Also, the main reason I went to counselling was the suicidal feelings and they have almost disappeared entirely and are much more manageable so I don't feel giving up with it at the moment is a bad thing...in fact I think I need a break from it...On the other hand, I've braved it once and if I reach that point again, I know I can do it again :)
  • Options
    that sounds well considered and rationalized. you've still got us in the meantime.
  • Options
    I really do value your opinions and support :) I am just trying to limit any potential risk because she really set me back in that one session. Besides, if I'm truly honest, you guys offer better advice than she did and you don't get paid for it!!! :)
  • Options
    Well now, if you're offering payment...
  • Options
    Wrist slap.

If you really don't feel comfortable or safe there, then you've made the right decision in not going back. The one thing you do need to make sure you do is tell them you're not going back, and why you're not going back. Don't just drop out and cancel the appointments.

Counselling is never going to be easy, having nice reassuring chats is easy, but counselling that will really make a difference is hard work and it is draining. That said it needs to be manageable - and by the sounds of it this really isn't managable to you.

Keep in touch with the uni one, and stay on the Cruse waiting list - and even if you think things are reasonably ok when they come up, I'd strongly suggest you take them up. Without wanting to rain on your good mood, grief is an up and down thing - and you need to invest in working through it for the long term.

It sounds like you're looking for excuses to not go back to this counsellor - which is fine as long as you know you're doing it. One of the things you've said in the past is that you feel like you should be over this by now, so the new counsellor tells you that grief takes an average of 2 years to work through, and you complain. As long as you're aware of what you're doing - it's fine.
  • Options
    I have informed her of my decision to leave.

I certainly won't be giving up with counselling and I have no expectations of it being a reassuring chat...I expect it to be hard work otherwise there is no point to it. I know after last night that I need to continue with it - I just can't do it in an environment where I feel insecure and patronised.

I didn't mean to complain with regards to the 2 year thing - it came at the wrong time as in my last few sessions with my previous counsellor I slowly came round to the idea of it taking as long as necessary and was working through that.

I am entitled to more sessions through Uni from Sept which I will use if necessary but will wait for Cruse as I am likely to hear from them soon.
  • Options
    Were you worried about what she might say? How are you feeling about it?
  • Options
    Jolly good - just checking!
  • Options
    I was worried Unflithen if I'm being completely honest but her response seemed genuine enough. I guess I feel a little nervous now all the professional support has gone temporarily but I'm sure I'll be ok :)
  • Options
    You will be. Think back to what you've learned over the course of your sessions - even if it's not immediately obvious, you have learned a lot.
  • Options
    That's a very hard decision to have made, but you sound informed. Well done.

There is a lot of self-directed CBT online which might help you in the meanwhile.