Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First (non-family) holiday!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okay, so it's a year away, but I'm quite excited.
Me and the boyfriend have been given permission by my mother to go on holiday next year on our own :D (after my 16th birthday)
We'll probably be going in early July next year, once I've had my school prom. We're thinking of going to Vienna, as I've always wanted to go.

We've had a look at prices to get a rough idea (it's too early to book for July yet but we had a look at March prices)
Easy jet flights are about £250/£300, including bags... does that sound about right? Or would we be able to get cheaper?
Also, places to stay range from £210 for 7 days, to £2,500! To be honest, we're both fine with staying somewhere cheap, because the more expensive places include food etc. and because we're vegan we'll have to sort our own food out really!
Is there any other things we need to take into price wise? I guess we need travel insurance and stuff? And obviously we'll need food (can we take stuff with us? Or should we buy it there?) and then money for days out/meals.
And, if any one's been to Vienna (or just anywhere in Austria) is there any where you'd recommend to stay or go for a day out?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are easyjet flights really that expensive?! Check other cheap airlines like flybe and ryanair as well. Look at hostels rather than hotels, they're much cheaper, will give you somewhere to cook food, and you get to meet all sorts of interesting people you otherwise wouldn't. Buy food when you get there, there's no point lugging tins across Europe, unless there's some weird special vegan product you can't live without. Shouldn't realllly need travel insurance unless you're bringing expensive items that need to be separately insured. Make sure you've both got an in date EHIC http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx and then that covers any healthcare you might need.
    I know nothing about Vienna so I can't help you there.
    Where are you getting these easyjet prices from?!!!!

I just checked gatwick (I think I remember you saying you lived in brighton??) to vienna and it's £65 return, so £130 for both of you both ways plus bags and taxes and it shouldn't be more than £160 or so!!

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Booking.mvc
    Thanks Grace :) We are planning on staying in a mini apartment thing, don't know the actual name for them? They have a bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette.
    I'll have a look at other airlines... there must be a comparison site for them?
    And the only thing I'm worried about food wise is soya milk and soya butter, when I was in holland it was really difficult to find either!
    Hey Broken-Angel :wave:

Have you looked at the Travel and Free Time tab?

Low cost flying: http://thesite.org/travelandfreetime/travel/gettingthere/lowcostflying
    Travel Insurance: http://thesite.org/travelandfreetime/travel/preparingtogo/travelinsurance
    Finding Accommodation: http://thesite.org/travelandfreetime/travel/preparingtogo/findingaccommodation

Hope this helps a bit! :)
    Hey

Try expedia for flight comparison :) As long as you try big supermarkets you should be fine for vegan stuff, my mum's vegan and finds stuff most places she goes. As for Austria, I've been to Saltzburg which is lovely, but kinda the opposite end of the country for you!

Nina x
    grace wrote: »
    Where are you getting these easyjet prices from?!!!!

I just checked gatwick (I think I remember you saying you lived in brighton??) to vienna and it's £65 return, so £130 for both of you both ways plus bags and taxes and it shouldn't be more than £160 or so!!

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Booking.mvc
    I had a look yesterday at March prices and they came up as £250ish for both of us! Hmmm weird! I'll have another look now thanks :)
    and thanks Sophieann, I hadn't looked!
    That's possibly because it's so early in advance that the tickets are so expensive...
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    That's possibly because it's so early in advance that the tickets are so expensive...

I was only looking at feb/march, but i had another look and they are the price grace said :) i don't know what website i was on!!
    Have you thought about using trains? With railcards they can be very very cheap and its a real good way to travel.
    Easy Jet should provide much cheaper flights than that to Vienna. Try skyscanner.com.
    I've never been to Vienna, but Austria is lovely...quite expensive though so if you want to go out for meals, drinks etc, you'll need to take a reasonable amount of cash.
    Thanks for your replies and advice everyone :d Still very excited.
    I've had another look at flights and there are cheaper ones which is a relief!!
    Turns out my uncle went to Vienna a couple of years ago, so going to chat to him about it and see where he recommends etc.

Pill' ed haven't seen you for around for a while, hope you're okay :)