Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clinical Psychologist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been given an appointment with a clinical psychologist at CAMHS... does any one know what they do? I've looked it up, and they can't shove meds at me because they aren't medically trained which is a bonus I suppose.

I don't want an appointment with someone I don't know.. I've been given no reason for the appointment being made, and my psych nurse hasn't mentioned anything about it. :impissed:

I'm not quite sure I want to see someone with the word "clinical" in their title...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been given an appointment with a clinical psychologist at CAMHS... does any one know what they do? I've looked it up, and they can't shove meds at me because they aren't medically trained which is a bonus I suppose.

I don't want an appointment with someone I don't know.. I've been given no reason for the appointment being made, and my psych nurse hasn't mentioned anything about it. :impissed:

I'm not quite sure I want to see someone with the word "clinical" in their title...

The Clinical Psychologist is who you do therapy with. They'll work with people doing things like CBT or DBT and work over a longer period of time. They can't prescribe medication. Sometimes it can be routine to be reffered to a psychologist if you already see a psychiatrist.

I think you should ask your nurse as to why specifically you have been reffered as obviously everyone is different. Sounds odd to not be told about the refferal.

Try not to doubt it just yet. It'll take time to get used to working through everything but it may be very beneficial.

I hope this helps.

it just means that they work in a clinical (healthcare) setting as opposed to in education, forensics, sports etc, as psychology can be applied to many different areas. it doesn't mean that they work in a particularly clinical way, in fact often clinical psychologists are very un-clinical in their approach.
    Hi BA :wave:

Psychology (as you may already know) is a science or discipline which is concerned with the thoughts and behaviour of people. There are a number of branches of psychology; educational, forensic, evolutionary, sport, health, neuropsychology and clinical.

The role of a clinical psychologist is to reduce the psychological distress of the individuals (or groups) with which they work with and as such promote and enhance psychological well-being. They do this by first assessing the needs of the aforementioned and then by providing (or recommending) the most suitable type of therapy/counselling or advice based upon the results of that assessment and their knowledge of psychological theory. To assess a client they?ll usually undertake a clinical assessment using any number of methods including psychological tests, interviews and observation.

The clinical part of their title just means that as a discipline clinical psychology involves practice or application of treatment i.e. therapy, as opposed to just the theory of the science.

At present appointments with clinical psychologists on the NHS can be few and far between (indeed a bit like gold dust) as waiting lists are so high. So, my advice to you would be to grab the opportunity with both hands. As omg hi says there?s nothing to fear, unlike psychiatrists their approach tends to be more inclined towards the social rather than that of the medical (as their title may first suggest) and while an appointment doesn?t necessarily mean that you?ll then be then offered therapy with that psychologist or any other psychologist (although you may well be!) the appointment should at least mean that your individual needs will then be identified and as such subsequently tailored to.

G_A
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl

Sometimes its easier dealing with a stranger, they can be objective and fresh advice and ideas can't be a bad thing. Doesn't mean you have to take it. xx