Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Harassing phone calls/messages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past few weeks now my brothers been getting horrible phone calls/answer phone messages from a bunch of people he used to go to college with (he left this summer). They had a massive falling out towards the end but figured leaving college would signal the end now they no longer have to see each other. Obviously this hasn't been the case and he's been getting these calls messages at the same time every week (when they're all out in town) and they all take it in turns to shout various abuse down the phone which I won't repeat here. Now he has the number and knows who it is, I was just wondering how the police would deal with it if he reported it? Would it even be worth reporting? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I think it'd definitely be worth reporting but I don't know how they'd react or what they'd do. I think they may need some kind of evidence but it is a form of harassment so they should try and help in some way as these people are breaking the law
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well he has all these messages saved on his phone and they don't bother witholding their number. He knows who it is too as he got someone to text the number and it confirmed it was who he thought it was ringing. It's always the same number however several of them join in and he recognises their voices. Plus it's well known they all frequently go into town together.
    Well the person who owns the phone and is making the calls could definitely get into a lot of trouble with the police but I don't know what would happen with the others involved
    Well hopefully a bollocking off the police for one of them would be enough. I'll try and get my brother to ring the police tomorrow and keep you updated.
    Should do, alright then let us know
    I know we have a resident bobby on here somewhere, would be interested to know what he says, he's had 2 phone calls tonight already.
    You called?

Your brother has 2 options. He can either;
    Change his number (not really the best I know).

Contact the police. Police will attend, take a look at the messages etc and then what they do is up to you. They can go and give the guy a bollocking, they can go and arrest the guy and charge him, or they can give him a penalty fine for £80.

It is an offence under the misuse of communications act to send a message via the public communications network that causes harassment, alarm, annoyance, distress. I ticketed a lad the other day for sending abusive emails, I personally think for stuff like this it's a nice, painless way (for the police and victim) to sort something out.
    What would he be charged with exactly? We are going to get the police involved but my brother who has mild autism wants to do with with our dad present and he's working unsociable hours at the moment. Once we know what he's working next week we're going to call the police. I assume nothing can really be done for the others?
    Section 127 of the communications Act 2003.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he? .
    (a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or .
    (b)causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

AND/OR

(2)A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he? .
    (a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false, .
    (b)causes such a message to be sent; or .
    (c)persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.
    Thanks for that. Turns out my brother deleted most of them when he got upset but he still has the 2 from the other night. Would it still be worth contacting the police as the incoming calls will still be there or should we wait a bit and see if he gets any more?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Turns out my brother deleted most of them when he got upset but he still has the 2 from the other night. Would it still be worth contacting the police as the incoming calls will still be there or should we wait a bit and see if he gets any more?

If he can make copies of them, or take a photograph of them, do it, as it least you'll have other copies if they want to take his mobile phone to be analysed, as it's possible they can still recover the messages from the handset I think.

It's still worth contacting them, they might want you to wait to see if you get some more for evidential reasons.
    Unflithen, they won't analyse the phone and try and recover messages for an offence like this.

Phone company would probably still have a record of the messages?

Sounds like he will almost certainly receive more so make sure he doesn't delete those.
    Rang up today and they said they can be cautioned. Going to the station to make a statement tomorrow, will keep you posted
    :thumb:
    My brothers pressing charges against the owner of the phone, and the others are getting cautioned I think. Not sure when the police will be visiting them though
    good show. Hope it goes ok.
    in case calls were from unknown people you can use reverse phone lookup. get their information then report them to the authority.
    Update:

The guy has been interviewed and cautioned and told that if he contacts my brother again in any way in the next 6 months he will be liable for arrest and prosecution :) The police have also spoken to a few of the other band members about the matter too. Hopefully that will be the last of it. The police were really friendly and helpful. Very happy
    Been following this thread for a while. Glad it had a happy ending for your brother :)
    Been following this thread for a while. Glad it had a happy ending for your brother :)

:-)

Thank you :) very glad he did it properly and got the police involved rather than rising to it. Hopefully they've learnt a lesson, though at the ages of 18-20 you think they'd know better.