Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Free fun things to do...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.. I need some tips of fun free things to do in London.
I know this might seem like a bit of a no-brainer but hear me out...
... Generally speaking I have had a confortable financial upbringing, never really worried about money and muddled my way along, going out once or twice a week, anything up to 8 weekends away a year (i dont really shop or buy material things i buy travel)
And now I'm living in London on a fairly low wage, and I am proud of myself as I have attacked this lifestyle with gusto and have been very budget conscious but the problem I'm having is I don't feel I have a lot of fun. To me fun is going out partying, dinners, all these kinds of things, which are more expensive in London and I'm feeling a bit down about it all.
Does anyone have any good suggestions? I PAYG with my oyster so don't want to start over using that.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go to a tv recording. It's great fun. And free.

I often go to the live eviction shows of Big Brother as I like the show but there are loads that have studio audiences as well and seeing them do it is really good fun. Alot of them are in Shepards Bush/White City part of London or the Elmstree Studios.

I'm sure thesite has an article about free things to do in leisure time that gave me the idea to start going to some tv recordings.
    Look on the timeout website theres loads and loads of suggestions there!
    Hat Trick, Applause Store, BBC Audiences all have free tickets for recordings.

Also, the museums often have late night openings and most London museums are free (except private collections like the London Transport Museum). The British Museum is my favourite place to go to just chill out for an afternoon.

A lot of clubs have free entry and cheaper drinks before a certain time, or if you drink tap water all night you can do the whole thing for free!

Don't forget websites liked Groupon sometimes have cheaper meals, or cheap entry to things like dog racing (my friends go a lot, not to gamble, just to do something different).
    Double post, oops!

Forgot to add, though, that often opera and ballet are streamed to big screens in Trafalgar Square which is a good excuse for a picnic, and the Mayor of London's office often puts on free entertainment esp at the mo with the Olympics and Paras.

Also, look at book shop websites; a lot of author events are not free but the price is taken off the price of the book if you buy it, so if you would buy the book anyway it works out well.
    Thanks ladies! A lot of things on here that I hadn't even thought of! I'll report back :)
    Have friends round for dinner rather than going out for dinner. Pot luck supper so everyone brings a dish and it's not that different in cost to cooking would have done anyway.

Go for a cycle on a Boris bike.

The free concerts that are in Hyde Park with the big screens.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Lots already mentioned, but you might find some useful links here too -

London for Free TheSite styleeee :d