Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tony Nicklinson loses High Court right-to-die case

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone remember, Tony? He was the person who went to court to fight the case for the right to die. Tony has locked-in syndrome; following a stroke he had seven years ago. He went to the High Court to fight his case to allow doctors to end his life without the fear of being prosecuted.

Having lost the case, he said he was "devastated" by the court's decision. Tony, a paralysed man who wants a doctor to be able to lawfully kill him could live for another 20 years or more of "increasing misery", a court has heard.

"For most people the debate is often remote from ordinary lives but for me, the debate on assisted dying is truly a matter of (an unhappy) life and (a pain-free) death" - Tony Nicklinson's in his own words.

This article really interested me, because I've been following it since it started, and knew how 'desperate' he was to go ahead with this. Also with his family accepting his wishes I think it made everything come together, and they wanted what was best for him.

I feel what was said wasn't really looked into much depth, and that they should have looked into it more before making a decision. I mean, obviously killing someone would be classed as murder, or even if you didn't mean to, it could be classed as man slaughter - so I kind of understand where they're coming through. But it's going to make, Tony live longer then he wants to. Think about it, you're sat in a chair, you can?t itch your itch, you can't feed yourself, and you can't communicate properly, that's got to be pretty miserable?!

My honest opinion I think, Tony should have had the right to die, it was his choice, and he must be 100% certain, for wanting to go to the High Court to fight his case.

- How do you feel about what has been said?
- Do you think Tony Nicklinson should have had the right to die?
- What would you agree/disagree on this?

Would be great to hear what you think, here's the link!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that this is a sad victory for the legal system over common sense, and hope that an appeal will succeed.
    I feel really awful for Tony Nicklinson and hope his appeal succeeds too. After watching the documentary not so long ago he made it abundently clear that he wanted to die otherwise he would take the drastic measure of starving himself. I can't imagine a worse way to die.
    I feel really awful for Tony Nicklinson and hope his appeal succeeds too. After watching the documentary not so long ago he made it abundently clear that he wanted to die otherwise he would take the drastic measure of starving himself. I can't imagine a worse way to die.

Definitely - I guess loosing the case, is going to make him think of other ways out - I mean, he's desperate to end his life, pain free. If the appeal falls, then I guess it may result in Tony taking further actions, which could obviously upset more people, then being allowed euthanasia.
    The judge, in his summing up left the avenue open. He said it wasn't for a judge to decide, but for parliament to amend the law.

And really, he has a point. We're asking a judge to make murder legal? It sets an incredibly dangerous precedent.
    It's not been said that we are asking murder to now be legal. But euthanasia is sometimes used in cases where the person is in too much pain to live on etc - so I guess it's different from all aspects.
    Definitely - I guess loosing the case, is going to make him think of other ways out - I mean, he's desperate to end his life, pain free. If the appeal falls, then I guess it may result in Tony taking further actions, which could obviously upset more people, then being allowed euthanasia.

Did you watch the documentary a few months ago? Tony met several people to discuss his case; one being the father of a woman with cerebral palsy and was wheelchair bound. She committed suicide by drowning herself. Her father was saying that he understood why she wanted to kill herself but just wish she didn't have to resort to doing it in such a painful and horrible way. That really struck a chord with me.
    Did you watch the documentary a few months ago? Tony met several people to discuss his case; one being the father of a woman with cerebral palsy and was wheelchair bound. She committed suicide by drowning herself. Her father was saying that he understood why she wanted to kill herself but just wish she didn't have to resort to doing it in such a painful and horrible way. That really struck a chord with me.

I did - it's so heart breaking to know that people have to go to such extents to get away from the pain, and the miserable life of not being able to do anything. This is something that should totally be looked into further, and thought about more - I guess if it was on the other hand and they had a loved one that had locked-in syndrome etc, they'd want what's best for them - we all know murder would never be legal - but I remember watching something 3/4years ago, where euthanasia was given to someone...
    I did - it's so heart breaking to know that people have to go to such extents to get away from the pain, and the miserable life of not being able to do anything. This is something that should totally be looked into further, and thought about more - I guess if it was on the other hand and they had a loved one that had locked-in syndrome etc, they'd want what's best for them - we all know murder would never be legal - but I remember watching something 3/4years ago, where euthanasia was given to someone...

Yeah I guess it depends on your definition of murder. Having a correct, legal procedure to follow would have protected both the doctor administering the lethal drug as well as Tony and I don't think that is asking for 'murder' to be made legal. I can see the ramifications it would have caused if the law were to change but I think in 2012 with medical advances happening everyday, we need to be open to that change.

Was it the documentary on Dignitas presented by Terry Pratchett? Piccolo posted a link here a few months ago. I watched it and it was so well made.
    Yeah I guess it depends on your definition of murder. Having a correct, legal procedure to follow would have protected both the doctor administering the lethal drug as well as Tony and I don't think that is asking for 'murder' to be made legal. I can see the ramifications it would have caused if the law were to change but I think in 2012 with medical advances happening everyday, we need to be open to that change.

Was it the documentary on Dignitas presented by Terry Pratchett? Piccolo posted a link here a few months ago. I watched it and it was so well made.

There should be the guidelines around euthanasia, like why introduce it, if it's not going to help someone - and there families be happier? I know that, Tony's family had agreed with his wishes, but although they'd be upset, they would know it was what he wants and how he doesn't have to suffer any more.

I think it was! But it was really interesting!
    R.I.P Tony! :(
    Dont be sad. It's what he wanted. Desperately.
    I know, bless him. Least he won't be miserable now.
    Thoughts go to his family :heart:
    The family said he went 'peacefully' with all of them around him. I really hope so
    He'll be free wherever he is. RIP Tony xx
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Dont be sad. It's what he wanted. Desperately.

The end result is the same but I don't think he wanted to go out this way. I hope it was peaceful but starving then being hit by pneumonia doesn't sound like best way to die.
    I agree with Infinite, we wouldn't let an animal die that way and it's so very sad for him and his family that he wasn't given the dignity he asked for.
    The end result is the same but I don't think he wanted to go out this way. I hope it was peaceful but starving then being hit by pneumonia doesn't sound like best way to die.

Yes, you and Piccolo make a good point. But comparing the way he died with the way he would have ended up living I think overall it's better this way.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I agree with Infinite, we wouldn't let an animal die that way and it's so very sad for him and his family that he wasn't given the dignity he asked for.

:yes:

I hope his family can now move on knowing he's not hurting anymore.