Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

asking for help when your a self harmer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't know where to post this so sorry if its not in the right place!...Hi i'm Emma i'm 20 & i've been self harming since i was 11 & it got worse over the years ever since its been my way of coping when things get even the slightest bit difficult.i've spoken to somebody who I trust but they disappeared not long after & I was left feeling guilty for speaking up about my issues i don't know if I maybe chose the wrong person or what but now i'm left feeling like I have no-one at all my family wouldnt understand theyre so judgemental when it comes to things like that. I find myself wishing that the person I confided in was there for me to talk to which i know is obviously never gonna happen or at least had someone to talk to. Ive tried helping myself by trying to distract myself but it didn't work too well.I feel trapped.i've pretty much lost all of my friends because i lost who I was a long time ago.I want to get help because I feel like if I don't it's all going to end badly.I was just wondering if anyone had asked for help & how they got the courage to ask for help and how they felt.sorry if none of this makes sense i'm not very good at putting things into words :blush:

Comments

• Options
    Hi im so sorry to hear your struggling.I have also had my fair share of experiences with self harm, the first person i went to was the doctor they were really lovely and had really good coping techniques.It does take alot of courage to do it but you only have to say it once.once I had said something too I also felt really proud and you dont have to be sorry it made perfect sense.Hope this helps if not sorry.*hug*

Take care
    Becks xx
  • Options
    Hi babydoll92

Welcome to the site :wave:

Firstly, you have posted in the right place. The Site has some great resources and info regarding self harm and you'll find some of the individual stories inspiring in themselves. This forum can be a great place for support too.

There is a great section on the site about 'confiding in someone'. It offers advice around building up the courage to speak to someone, knowing who is best to talk too and what reactions to expect from others and how to deal with these. It might be worth a while taking a look at it.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/confidinginsomeone

The link above also has links to some professional services that also offer support too.

You've talked about distractions and them not having worked previously, there is a section on the site that offers more info on coping tips and distractions. It may contain things that you have already tried, but its worthwhile checking over to see if there are alternative ways to reduce the urge to self-harm, as well as minimising the damage.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/copingtipsanddistractions

Try both of those links and let us know what you think. The members of the forum often offer some great personal advice from experience that can be really helpful too.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Phil :thumb:
  • Options
    Hi Emma, welcome :thumb:

Well done on coming here.

Just to add to what Phil said, have you seen this video on talking to your GP?

Sometimes it's easier to talk to a detached professional.

There's also an article on meeting health professionals

Let us know how you're doing
  • Options
    Hey thank you all for your help and for being so lovely!im going to go and speak to my gp and see how things go from there scared but i know I need to do this
  • Options
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    babydoll92 wrote: »
    I didn't know where to post this so sorry if its not in the right place!...Hi i'm Emma i'm 20 & i've been self harming since i was 11 & it got worse over the years ever since its been my way of coping when things get even the slightest bit difficult.i've spoken to somebody who I trust but they disappeared not long after & I was left feeling guilty for speaking up about my issues i don't know if I maybe chose the wrong person or what but now i'm left feeling like I have no-one at all my family wouldnt understand theyre so judgemental when it comes to things like that. I find myself wishing that the person I confided in was there for me to talk to which i know is obviously never gonna happen or at least had someone to talk to. Ive tried helping myself by trying to distract myself but it didn't work too well.I feel trapped.i've pretty much lost all of my friends because i lost who I was a long time ago.I want to get help because I feel like if I don't it's all going to end badly.I was just wondering if anyone had asked for help & how they got the courage to ask for help and how they felt.sorry if none of this makes sense i'm not very good at putting things into words :blush:

You did just fine with those words Emma.
    Words are powerful things, they can change everything. In my case, they brought my whole world crashing down.
    I know I was around 17, I left 6th form because I couldn't cope. I didn't want to do or go anywhere. I thought I was useless as a human being and should just disappear. But I knew I couldn't, that I had to financially support myself, so I went to the Careers Center about a paid course. I lasted 1 day, not even a day it was only the morning. I hated being around these strangers, more people judging me I thought.
    When I told the adviser how I was feeling that's when things took a turn for the better. With a few simple words I made my life better. And whenever I start to feel that way again, even if its scary, I know which is worse.
    Hope my mumbling helps. xx