Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

employer wants to use photographs of employees in promotional materials

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are my rights?

I don't want to be photographed at work, and I don't want the implication that I endorse the company's products.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I found this: http://www.employeeprivacyrights.co.uk/privacy-employee-needs-know.html
    An employer may want a photo of every employee for security purposes. There is no automatic right, however, for an employer to use an employee’s photo for other reasons such as promotional material. An employer should first seek an employee’s permission.

Not a lot of info but you are well within your right. I'd use to brief explanation that 'you're a private person' rather than not wanting to endorse any products for the company.
    It depends what your contract of employment says, too, of course. You may have already agreed to it.

I wouldn't say you don't want to endorse products, just say you're a private person and don't want it. An understanding employer will be sensible about it; for promotional stuff, they want happy smiley workers not someone who blatantly doesn't want to be photographed. Plenty of others will be delighted to get their mugshot on the website.
    no point discussing what "understanding employers" might do, they are wankers.
    e.g. will leave messages on my mobile, so I can get on with work as soon as my (after my self funded, in my own time) counselling sessions are over.
    Even wannkers don't want promotional photos full of people glowering.