Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Diphenhydramine/ benadryl ???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tomorrow I'm gona try and get high off this stuff, but I've heard loads of negative things about it so I was wondering if anyone else had tried it? I wana know the side effects and what could happen and if people hallucinate crazy things on it? Also, if it doesn't work, is it safe for me to drink afterwards? thanks (:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    justharry wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm gona try and get high off this stuff, but I've heard loads of negative things about it so I was wondering if anyone else had tried it? I wana know the side effects and what could happen and if people hallucinate crazy things on it? Also, if it doesn't work, is it safe for me to drink afterwards? thanks (:

Why do you want to hullucinate from it? Okay so i know drugs are appealling to some but seems a bit silly using Diphenhydramine. My guess is it will give you awful physical reactions too like a racing heart. I took it in a NORMAL dose as it's an antihistamine ( or used to help you sleep) and i had breathing difficulties. I'm not saying this will happen to you, i'm just making it clear that it seems silly to me using this to get a 'high.'
  • MCGrammarMCGrammar Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi justharry

Just wanted to check in with you as it’s been a few days since you posted this.
    There’s not all that much out there on recreational use of Diphenhydramine but from various other forums, it seems that the possible side effects reported by some users are:

- Dry mouth
    - Frequent urination, or possible urinary retention
    - Sexual dysfunction
    - Blurred vision
    - Confusion
    - Discomfort, dizziness, loss of coordination
    - Uncontrollable muscle twitches or cramps, restless leg syndrome (less common)
    - Nervousness, anxiety
    - Nausea (at higher doses, less common)
    - Vomiting (very rare, in fact most users would have trouble vomiting if they tried due to diphenhydramine's antiemitic effects)
    - Amnesia, loss of memory of the experience afterwards
    - Visual and auditory hallucinations - This is one of the most sought after effects, and it can range from seeing simple patterns on the walls, to having conversations with people that are not there. This can be pleasant, interesting, terrifying, or even dangerous, because at high enough doses it becomes impossible to distinguish hallucinations from reality. A very common hallucination is seeing small insects that do not exist.

However, this of course depends on how much you take and your individual reaction to it. As Diphenhydramine is a sedative, you should probably avoid alcohol (also a sedative) if you do take it.

Some useful general advice about taking drugs as safely as possible can be found on TheSite: http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/usingdrugs

Finally, if you’re taking an over the counter drug that contain dimenhydrinate, such as Benedryl, be aware that these drugs can contain acetaminophen, which can be very toxic in high dosages.

Hope this is useful! Just let us know if you have any other questions!:thumb:
    I use it for Hayfever, over the counter meds! :)
    To get high from the stuff would be a misnomer, I would expect to get monged from it and then fall asleep. That's all I've ever used it for and that's all it's ever done - added some "fluffy" to mild alcohol intoxication, and made me sleepy, bit of memory loss afterwards at higher doses.

By the way "acetaminophen" is paracetamol, which you don't want to be overdosing on. If you look at some of the OTC sleeping tablets, they have diphenhydramine in them without paracetamol.