Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Olympics opening ceremony

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What a cracker!

And here's me at 7pm thinking 'meh, I may as well watch the beginning'.

An hour and a bit later:

e7yNj.jpg

Dohohoho.

Fantastic all together. Loved it. I admit there were bits that I felt very emotional in; but I'm not ashamed of that. Equally, there was plenty of respite from my gentleness where I was given ample opportunity to laugh out loud.

Well done Danny Boyle.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It won me over. I enjoyed it, too!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Watching it tomorrow because I fell asleep. But everyone keeps saying how great it is.
    I loved it, it was amazing! Mr Bean/Rowan Atkinson never fails to make me laugh! Also thought it was a nice touch to have young british athletes lighting the cauldron when everyone was guessing big celeb names, nice.
    I watched most of it and thought it was really good considering I couldn't give a toss about the olympics other wise (though saying that I'm know I'll end up watching it considering I have little choice if I want to watch tv for the next 16 days)
    I thought it was brilliant.
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    I loved it, it was amazing! Mr Bean/Rowan Atkinson never fails to make me laugh! Also thought it was a nice touch to have young british athletes lighting the cauldron when everyone was guessing big celeb names, nice.

:yes:

I thought it was really good, Mr Bean/Rowan Atkinson was funny.
    It gave me a really warm fuzzy feeling inside. Had a really good synopsis of British history in it too, with so much highlighted from our heritage to be proud of.

I was disappointed by Paul McCartney, he's had his day. Snow Patrol were fab. I was also really proud of the queen, she's practically a fossil yet stuck through the whole thing.

Here's hoping things continue in that vein,
    I watched the athletes, and country spotted with my daughter, google searching the ones I didn't recognise. Might go back and watch the actual ceremony... probably won't... The Queen's speech was wonderfully brief :thumb:
    Was I the only person expecting the Teletubbies to appear from behind Sebastian Coe when he was speaking on the mound of grass?!
    Nope, my mini-me said it out-loud, chortle.
    It gave me a really warm fuzzy feeling inside. Had a really good synopsis of British history in it too, with so much highlighted from our heritage to be proud of.

I was disappointed by Paul McCartney, he's had his day. Snow Patrol were fab. I was also really proud of the queen, she's practically a fossil yet stuck through the whole thing.

Here's hoping things continue in that vein,

This. Except the Snow Patrol thing. They should have been excluded for clearly taking a bland substance.
    Snow Patrol? Wasn't it the Arctic Monkeys?

Anyway I can't believe how petty some countries are being. First the Koreans having a tantrum over the wrong flags being used. Secondly the Indians are having a paddy because they decided their team wasn't given enough 'tv time', plus some woman who was not part of the team or delegation found her way in to the procession. Apparently India wants "an apology" from Logoc. I'm surprised they don't demand 'compensation' too.
    It was the Arctic Monkeys. :)

I loved that specially loved that special composition that Underworld wrote (Caliban's Dream) when Steve Redgrave handed the flame to the youngsters. Beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec8GZkEpD4

Snow Patrol have been doing the Hyde Park concert. I assume taht is what was meant.

AM were good.
    Anyway I can't believe how petty some countries are being. First the Koreans having a tantrum over the wrong flags being used.

I'm not sure that "petty" is the word I would use. They have been at war with the South for about 60 years. It was pretty offensive.
    I like that this was some much better and more polished than I'd expected it to be. The slick transformation of rural scene to industrial towers was very well executed, and the forged steel rings was a masterstroke.

I also loved that we had pretty much continual drumming, and great involvement from children including solo singing to start it off. This was a great show and impressively answered the question of what would be able to follow on from Beijing.

I'm not sure that "petty" is the word I would use. They have been at war with the South for about 60 years. It was pretty offensive.

Perhaps. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been angry. But refusing to play? THAT is what I call petty.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Be grateful that they just refused to play. The north Koreans could've nuked us all!!! As far as faux pas goes this was one of the worst that the organising committee could've made. I don't think it was petty at all and if it was me I would've been extremely offended. I did find it amusing in that it was the worst mistake that they could've made.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re the opening ceremony: I was so so impressed. Well done Danny Boyle. Loved it all and mr bean was genius. As was the torch IMHO.
    Be grateful that they just refused to play. The north Koreans could've nuked us all!!! As far as faux pas goes this was one of the worst that the organising committee could've made. I don't think it was petty at all and if it was me I would've been extremely offended. I did find it amusing in that it was the worst mistake that they could've made.

Like I said, I get that they were angry about it. But refusing to play until it was rectified? That's just childish, having a tantrum on the world stage. This is meant to be a celebration of sport and throwing their toys out of the pram is not what I call sporting.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I loved it too. I liked that they used Kenneth Branaugh (spelling might be off there) and the Shakespeare quote. The industrial aspects was cool. I was smiling like an idiot at the Bond/Queen bit.
    Watched it start to finish. Laughed at the queen jumping out of the helicopter. Hated myself for fancying the girl from the cringe-inducing performance about a lost phone. Raised an eyebrow at the black industrialists.
    Watched it start to finish. Laughed at the queen jumping out of the helicopter. Hated myself for fancying the girl from the cringe-inducing performance about a lost phone. Raised an eyebrow at the black industrialists.

Yeah even I had a bit of a girl crush on her.

Ceremony was awesome. Loved the idea of the olympic torches all coming together into one united torch at the end. Sigh

Danny Boyle is so smart and the unnamed geniuses who must have had a hand in it. Was also impressed by the Queen scarily enough too.
    I absolutely loved it. I was really emotional at the whole thing. I laughed, cried and smiled so much.
    Hope they release it on DVD. The album of the music is out atm, which I really want.
    I managed to watch most of it from start to end as I was on a nightshift over here, and nothing much was hapening. I thought it was frankly immense and wa smost excellent in raising morale of why we serve our country and a reminder of all the good things we do it for.
    Felt proud to be English!
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I managed to watch most of it from start to end as I was on a nightshift over here, and nothing much was hapening. I thought it was frankly immense and wa smost excellent in raising morale of why we serve our country and a reminder of all the good things we do it for.

Hearing you say that has given me a shiver down my spine, especially after watching all the Brits performing so brilliantly today :) - I have to confess I probably didn't get as much work done as I should have....
    G-Raffe wrote: »

Hearing you say that has given me a shiver down my spine, especially after watching all the Brits performing so brilliantly today :) - I have to confess I probably didn't get as much work done as I should have....
    Plus tharmed forces saved the day again with the first gold ;)

Haha - that says it all. (It was the Arctic Monkeys)

I tried to hate it. Failed.