Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Make up use by dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long does eye shadow last for? When should I throw it away?

I've got a palette that includes beige, brown, pale teal and dark teal by Clinique. I can't remember when I opened it which probably means it was ages ago. I can't find a suitable replacement though.

I always throw mascara away regularly (especially important as a contact lens wearer).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also if anyone can suggest a suitable replacement that would be great :)

Looking on Make Up Alley it seems this is a product from 2003 but I remember that my friend gave it to me then I kept it unopened for a few years as I already had open eye shadow. It was a gift with purchase that she didn't like.
    I was once told that eyeshadow is ok to hang on to for around 2 years i think its the same for lipstick, foundations and concealers around 12 to 18 months but mine never last that long i suppose i am a fairly heavy user of them. Mascara is the dodgy one i was told off for adding water to one that had dried out i believe you should replace every 3 months.
    Having said that i have eyeshadows that must be 4 or 5 years old :shocking:
    Yeah I think this one might be a similar age.

I think I'm going to make a spread sheet of dates that I can update when I open new make up so in future I know the age.
    an easier way is to put a little label on them so you know how long they have been open for. I would say 24 months + for eyeshadows/powder blushes/anything else powdery, Lipsticks 12-18 months (because if you use them direct from the bullet they can become a bacteria breeding ground. Mascara like you guys said, its really not something you want to be using after 3 months.
    Apart from mascara, I never throw anything away unless it is obviously gross. Even then I try and just scrape a layer of eyeshadow or lipstick off the top to try and get the bad bits off.
    I can't believe people throw mascara away I just use mine until it runs out then buy another one, I do use it every day so I'm guessing i don't really have a tube open for months and months. but iv never thrown any anyway and never had any eye infections etc. never knew!
    I've always been told that mascara was the worst, because its a liquid (of sorts), and eyes have about the same number of bateria as your nose or vagina...aparently!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I've always been told that mascara was the worst, because its a liquid (of sorts), and eyes have about the same number of bateria as your nose or vagina...aparently!

but it's not like you're sharing a mascara with a whole load of other people, it's only going on your eyes? iv never had an eye infection but if I did I'd throw my mascara away and get a new one but until then I'd rather get my wear out of it! especially as they can be quite expensive. sorry I know you haven't made up the actual rule but I just think it sounds daft hehe.
    Yeah, I find mine normally dry out after 3-6 months anyway so I'll get rid of them (because nothing is going to really sort out a dried up mascara). It is a little daft in terms of personal use (and even when I use a clean disposable wand everytime), but I woudn't want to keep a mascara much longer than 6 months at the longest.