Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

80% of drivers believe they are better than the majority of drivers

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    It is. I'm not saying that driving a lot of miles makes a me a better driver simply through practice, I'm saying my high mileage with a distinct lack of incident prooves I'm not a terrible driver. There's a difference.
    It doesn't prove anything! It could be that you've been very fortunate. Let's face it, having an accident is for most people a very rare occurrence.
    And playing darts on a regualr basis will generally improve your playing.

Generally yes, but that's not hard-and-fast. I'm not saying I think you are a crap driver (how could I know?), just that high mileage and years driving does not preclude you from being one.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It doesn't prove anything! It could be that you've been very fortunate. Let's face it, having an accident is for most people a very rare occurrence.

Well we'll have to disagree. No scratches, bumbs or crashes after over half a million miles in 9 years. If I was a terrible driver this woudl be very unlikely. It's why insurance companies give you no claims bonuses, because as a gerenal rule of thumb miles/accidents gives you a indication of ability.

And generally experience plays a big part of driving ability (though this is sometimes ofset by age). Somebody who regulary travels on motorways is going to be better at driving on them than those that go on them once or twice a year. Having experience riding motorbikes also generally improves your capability as a car driver. As a motorbike rider you are much more aware of the dangers on the road because mistakes are far more costly, where as people who have only driven cars quite often have an air of invincibility about them.
    Weekender Offender 
    If I was a terrible driver this woudl be very unlikely.

Nobody has called you a terrible or even a bad driver.
    Also agreed on motorcyclists being better drivers. ;)
    Overtaking slower cars into oncoming traffic doesn't make you a better driver. The fact you're on a 2 wheeled death trap and doing it means you've got a death wish.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Overtaking slower cars into oncoming traffic doesn't make you a better driver. The fact you're on a 2 wheeled death trap and doing it means you've got a death wish.

I'd say overtaking anything with oncoming anything is a death wish.

However, if you spend a while riding on a motorbike, riding with other motorcyclists, you will pick up a keen appreciation for how other vehicles move dangerously and learn to plan two steps ahead - where is the next danger, and so on. It galls me to see bicyclists who haven't yet picked that up, enjoying the lovely weather, and literally riding into deadzones where their life is being dictated at that point by the assumption of competenence of other drivers. Something that you absolutely can't rely on when you are so vulnerable.

Not that this awareness is exclusive to motorcycle riders, but certainly being on on a 'death trap' for any length of time trains that foresight.
    I think I have better road awareness now I'm learning to ride. I would support having to do a CBT type session before being given a car license.
    Bikers may well consider themselves better drivers and to have 'better' road awareness but I've yet to see someone in a car doing 160mph weaving in and out of traffic on the motorway, as well as intentionally clipping the wing-mirrors of other roadusers who they feel did not give them 'enough space' on roads.

Not saying neither of the above is not done by car drivers but I've seen plenty of bikers at it.
    I've seen daft bikers, and I've seen daft drivers. It's just when you're being a cock in the car, it's not as shocking because a clip when you're in a car is scuffed paint, but a clip on a bike is fairly serious.
    Bikers may well consider themselves better drivers and to have 'better' road awareness but I've yet to see someone in a car doing 160mph weaving in and out of traffic on the motorway, as well as intentionally clipping the wing-mirrors of other roadusers who they feel did not give them 'enough space' on roads.

Not saying neither of the above is not done by car drivers but I've seen plenty of bikers at it.

Yesterday on a dual carriageway at standstill there 4 motorcyclists filtering up at 15-20mph. First one goes past. Volvo in front of me pulls over to the left and drives over the white line to block the progress of the other three. What the fucking fuck. If one of those motorcyclists was a) going too fast b) not paying proper attention c) poorly maintained bike / bad brakes, that kind of manouvre is a potential death sentence by the Volvo. That's what you have to appreciate, that as a driver you are driving a lethal weapon.

I do see bad motorcyclists, particularly younger riders / mopeds. The big crime is sitting in an overtaking position for far too long (this is when you close the gap between yourself and vehicle in front, in order that you can quickly pass at the right opportunity). This is 100% dangerous for a motorcyclist in case the car has to do a sudden stop, you won't stop fast enough. So you should be careful and strategically plan when you are going to overtake, and so when you need to move to your overtaking position, and so the time you need to be in the danger area. Amateur riders however will sit in the dangerous spots for a long time waiting for an opportunity.

A good insight into 'roadsense'.
    The narrator's voice was the most annoying thing about that :banghead:
    Hah, I didn't pay too much attention. He's got loads of other videos though, really interesting to watch.
    Tbh, I thought I was going to die crossing a zebra crossing in Rome. Scary driving indeed!

They're not crossings in Europe, they're targets.

I used to get freaked out that in Belgium and Luxembourg you can turn right across a pedestrian crossing regardless of lights.