Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When do people give up on a friendship ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice and thoughts about the above title - when do you give up on a friendship ?

Personally I think the number one factor is that most people I have been friends with in different avenues have ended up living far away and for this reason the friendship (in some cases) fades.

There haven't been any fallings out or anything like that, but with people living all over the place it's tricky I would say.

My experience suggests that you give up on the friendship when you are sending messages of some description and on a number of occasions they go unanswered.
I don't know why this happened with people, but I've had to let go quite a lot of people in recent years.

What I've generally found is that with people further away there has been no real communication on their part in terms of staying in touch and that it's mainly local people who stay in touch. I think that people have just moved on in some instances and there's not much I can do about that - at least with people who have failed to respond that could be why they failed to respond, but I don't know for sure. And they have never been in contact with me.

What have other people's experiences been ? Have you had to give up on people sometimes despite your best efforts ?

Comments

• Options
    I think the people who move away let go more than the person who stays put purely cos of the new/exciting place they are in, everything and everyone is new and new tends to look alot better. I have a few friends scattered about too and other than social networking we very rarely see/speak to eachother. I find SMS is a really difficult way to have a conversation so unless you are one of those people constantly on facebook IM the conversaton tends to dry up! Texts/e-mails are easier to ignore what about trying to give em a call to catch up from time to time?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There is one I've pretty much given up on. We used to meet quite often but after a while he stopped calling. We met a few times after I called him but more recently he's been saying he doesn't know when he can. He has reasons for that, and good ones I think, and although he never directly "blamed" these reasons for not being able to meet up I think they definitely play a role in it.
    In the end of it, I don't think it matters whether it's because he's too busy with other things or because he's not interested in meeting me any more...
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone else have any thoughts on when to let a friendship go ?

I'm not saying I want to give friendships up - far from it - but I just think that sometimes you have done all you can to stay in touch with someone and keep it going, but there's not much more you can do.

Since university I have met new people in the local area, but it's just that so many people are far away that makes it likely that some people have moved on.

With regards to phone calls that is my preferred method of communication, but for whatever reason I don't get through to a lot of people - it goes to voicemail.

When would you give up on someone ?