Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The "Wiggins" Effect?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not sure if this is Sport, Health, Politics/Debate... so I've gone for AG...

The media are playing up the whole "Wiggins" effect arguing that there is an increase in cyclists because of Mr Wiggins fantastic performance in the TDF.

I have a couple of observations:

1. Just because the media are only just paying attention, doesn't mean it hasn't been happening for ages. The number of cyclists has been increasing for years. God know, I've nearly run loads over in the past few years.

2. Wiggins won yesterday, the media have only been playing it up for a week. So this story would suggest that shitloads of bikes have been sold and delivered in teh past 28 hours or so. Likely?

3. Today is the first day of school holidays and the sun is out. Surely that is more likely to be the cause of the "sudden" increase in the past two days?

What do others think? Wiggins effect, or just co-incidence?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's probably all of the above, or even none of them. These things are very complex.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I saw a news report the other day and it said that one of the reasons cycling is on the up is that lots of money has been put in, facilities have improved markedly (you only need to take a look at Manchester) and the success of the previous Olympics. The cycling phenomenon started well before Wiggins. I think that his TDF win will spur others on but I don't think it is the only factor.