Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Effective tips for anxiety and panic attacks treatment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just read this article and it seems to be very useful for those who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I think that there are a lot of people who try to fight this condition and if it helps someone - it should be here:)
http://www.articlesbase.com/mental-health-articles/effective-tips-for-anxiety-and-panic-attacks-treatment-5993530.html

Comments

• Options
    Hey London, thanks for sharing this. It all seems very scientific but that's not to say that can't be useful for some people in terms of coping and understanding what's going on in their brain :)

Was there anything in particular you thought was really useful about the article?

It would be good to hear from people here that may have suffered from anxiety or panic attacks, can anyone share any practical tips that you found really helped you?

We have an article with some tips here on TheSite, it suggests things like long deep breaths: http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/anxietyandstress/panicattacks

Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think the logic point is a very good one; you have to have proof that you, say, won't die whilst having a panic attack and I think that's the main "issue" in treating things like panic - I found it had to be presented to me on a plate - it just didn't work for me that sitting there on my own having a panic attack.
  • Options
    I've never had the problem of thinking I'm going to die when I have a panic attack I just feel like I'm losing control and going mad - and finding proof that thats not the case is really hard. I'm still going along with the mindfulness stuff, but its not an over night cure by any means!
  • Options
    As Miss_riot says often you feel like you're losing control. For me, taking control of my own anxiety and stress is something I have found massively useful. I don't see it as an 'illness that I can't control' or something; I see it as a facet of my person that I need to proactively manage - just the same as you might manage hunger, or whatever.
  • Options
    not all people manage to control their state themselves unfortunately...
  • Options
    I feel like I'm going to be sick which to me equates to dying