Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

English cities and their American counterparts?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
London = New York - Obvious comparison
Birmingham = Chicago - Second city
Manchester = Los Angeles - Sprawling mess full of criminals
Liverpool = Boston - Huge Irish influence, big on their sport
Leeds = San Francisco - Hilly, quite bohemian
Sheffield = Philadelphia - Steel City
Nottingham = Detroit - Guns
Newcastle = Houston - Residents have a distinctive accent
Brighton = New Orleans - Party town on the South Coast
Bristol = Miami - Furthest South big city
Coventry = St. Louis - Kinda average
Leicester = Indianapolis - Fairly big city near the middle of the country
Sunderland = Atlanta - See Newcastle/Houston
Norwich = Seattle - Tucked away, bad for weather

Discuss. Also, why is it easy to find Ginger Beer in America but not Root Beer in England?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's unfair to call Manchester a sprawling mess full of criminals lol. Maybe Glasgow :p
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    O.o I don't think that's a fair judgement of Manchester, really.
    The middle of Engalnd is nothing like the middle of America - Leicester is positively coastal by American standards.

"Residents have a distinctive accent" can be as easily applied to Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester and Glasgow as it can be to Newcastle.

While Nottingham may have a lot of guns for an English city, there are far fewer there than, I would imagine, any American city
    Bradford can be the sprawling mess full of criminals then!

Nina x
    I think calling Leeds 'bohemian' is quite optimistic!
    Chicago, second city? Psch. What is a dirty UK city full of murder and crime... and good food, that thinks they are better than everybody else, because that is Chicago's counterpart :p
    sprawling mess full of criminals is definitely harsh! that description could be about any big city.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to call Manchester a sprawling mess full of criminals lol. Maybe Glasgow :p

The OP does quite clearly state English cities :)
    Nottingham has one of the lowest gun crime rates in the country. In 3 years between 2008 and 2011 there were 3 murders involving firearms in Nottingham. In JUST 2011 in Detroit there were 102.......
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Nottingham has one of the lowest gun crime rates in the country. In 3 years between 2008 and 2011 there were 3 murders involving firearms in Nottingham. In JUST 2011 in Detroit there were 102.......

That sounds plesant, maybe I'll move there! I was reading the other day, gun related homicides have surpassed 250 this year in Chicago, and all the holidays are later. What is Thanksgiving or Christmas if you can't shoot the crazy part of your family.

Though, if I were murdered, I think I'd prefer to be shot (or air bubble in a needle), as long as it was a good hit and I didn't bleed out over the course of several hours. Stabbing, strangling, drowning, they all take far too long.
    It's really hard to compare anything in the first world to Detroit. Maybe Greece. As great as Detroit used to be is as horrible as it is now. It's been completely decimated by the "progressive" goons in charge for the last couple of decades. It's really a terrible place.
    While Nottingham may have a lot of guns for an English city, there are far fewer there than, I would imagine, any American city

Well, that really depends on whether you're accounting for illegal firearms as well. As strange as it may sound, many states suppress the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. So, "any" U.S. city is a bit of a stretch. But if including blackmarket firearms, it'd be rather impossible to determine.