Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brain teasers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
3 men check into a hotel for a night and pay £10 each of the £30 bill.

After theyve gone up to the room, the hotel receptionist realises that the room is actually £25 for the night so he takes a fiver to give back to the men. On the way to their room he realises that £5 cant be divided by 3 so he think i'll give them £1 back each and keep 2 for myself.

Now the men have paid £9 each, totalling £27 and the receptionist has £2 so where is the remaining pound?

Anyone got anymore?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the men have paid 27 pounds, the room was 25 and the receptionist has 2 pounds. What is the 1 pound you're asking about?
    because 27+2 = 29 and the men originally paid 30
    that makes as much sense as asking "5 - 2 = 3, where did the extra 1 come from?"
    after the men got their money back, they all had paid 9 each, totalling 27. The hotel man had 2... 27+2 only equals 29 so where's the 1 to make 30?
    what 30? the 3 x 9 makes 27, which is the 25 for the room plus the 2 the man kept.
    because the men ORIGINALLY paid 30 when they entered the hotel. £1 back each = paying £27 plus the 2 the man kept but that only equals 29.

Anyone else get this?
    or to put it another way:

the room is 25
    the man kept 2
    the change was 3

the 27 the men paid is the room plus the "tip". for no sane reason, you are adding the 2 on again to say this makes 29, and then asking why this doesn't total 30. Your question makes no sense. The brainteaser is why you are asking such nonsense.
    x
    Or, finally, as a reductio ad absurdum:

3 men check into a hotel for a night and pay £10 each of the £30 bill.

After they've gone up to the room, the hotel receptionist realises that the room is actually £27 for the night so he takes pound coins to give back to the men. On the way to their room he realises that £3 can be divided by 3 so he thinks damn, no tip for me.

Now the men have paid £9 each, totalling 27 and the receptionist has none so where is the remaining 3 pounds?
    Just so you know, i did not make this up it was told to me and yea, im stupid so ner
    It's not the first time I've seen it, and it is an amusing misdirection in the question - but that's all it is - a trick question. My frustration is that too many people (perhaps frightened by maths?) repeat the question, but refuse to accept the correct answer.

it's a shame thesite doesn't support the
    tag.

And I most certainly don't think you're stupid, you're in the list of people I greatly respect. You're also much prettier than me.

And I most certainly don't think you're stupid, you're in the list of people I greatly respect. You're also much prettier than me.

Thanks. And how do you know this?
    which part? The first is self evident, the second I could wave off as "because it's not bloody hard" but now you've asked I'm not sure where my mental image of you comes from - LJ?
    Hmm i dont have livejournal, nor am i aware of me being on there
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I always get confused by this thing as well. But it helps to see it in steps.
    Beginning: Men have 30, receptionist has 0.
    Step one, men pay 30: Men have 0, receptionist has 30.
    Step two, receptionist realises the mistake. Men should have 5, receptionist should have 25.
    Step three, receptionist steals 2. Men have 3, receptionist has 27.
    The total is always 30. I think the confusion is because we count together numbers from different steps.
    Here's a new one (one of my favourites). It's somewhat popular so many people would know the answer, but anyway.

You are kidnapped and drugged, then you wake up in a room with two doors and two guards, one guard in front of each door. You find a note that says the following:
    "One of the doors leads outside, the other to the torture chamber where we are waiting. You can pick one door and go freely through it. In order to find out which door is which, you are allowed to ask one question to one guard. Be careful, because one of the guards will tell you the truth but the other will lie."

How do you make sure which door leads out?
    Lexi99 wrote: »

Then my mental image of you is fictitious - it probably comes from my niave prejudice that causes me to construct a pretty mental image from a nice character (and conversely to assume a pleasant character from a nice picture)

you posted a picture of your hair the other day and you could see your face! just because it sounds like you're thinking carriage return is weird stalker or something :p
    you posted a picture of your hair the other day and you could see your face! just because it sounds like you're thinking carriage return is weird stalker or something :p

Hehe this is true i did, and no i dont think he's a stalker!
    FAO Indrid

"Assuming I want to live, which door would the other guard tell me to leave by?" Then choose the other door.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    "Assuming I want to live, which door would the other guard tell me to leave by?" Then choose the other door.
    Indeed.

A king had twin sons and didn't know which one to choose as his successor. So one day he called them and told them this:
    "I have decided that a horse race will determine which one of you my successor will be. So I want to ask you to take your horses to the edge of the forest near our city and race toward the city's gates. My successor will be the one whose horse reaches the city last."
    So the princes took their horses to the forest like he asked. There they sat and waited for each other to start moving first. After several hours had passed with neither of them moving at all, an old wise man went by. Seeing two princes sitting at the edge of the forest, he got curious and asked what they were doing there. After the princes explained, the wise man told them something that made them hop on their horses and race toward the city as fast as they could.
    What did the wise man say?
    That their father was dying.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    That their father was dying.
    Nope.

My boss' reply to that was "They're fucking your mother". :lol:
    Is it something to do with the princes can enter the city but it is the horses that decide who wins
    Is it something to do with the princes can enter the city but it is the horses that decide who wins
    Well, you've basically found it.
    Well, you've basically found it.

You would grab the other guys horse and get it home as quickly as possible!
    You would grab the other guys horse and get it home as quickly as possible!
    Yep!
    A ship sinks in the tropics, and the only survivors are a mother and daughter who manage to swim to a nearby island with few trees. They survive there for several months from fishing. A few months later, another ship sinks and the only survivor is a man who also swims to that island.
    A year later, the mother calls him "Grandpa", the daughter calls him "Uncle" and he calls them both "Cousins".
    What happened?
    A ship sinks in the tropics, and the only survivors are a mother and daughter who manage to swim to a nearby island with few trees. They survive there for several months from fishing. A few months later, another ship sinks and the only survivor is a man who also swims to that island.
    A year later, the mother calls him "Grandpa", the daughter calls him "Uncle" and he calls them both "Cousins".
    What happened?

Christ knows!
    Christ knows!
    The heat got to their heads and they're delirious. :p

More of a joke than a riddle, really.